HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Undissolving Dissolvable Internal Stitches? Undissolving Dissolvable Internal Stitches?

Unread 08-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Undissolving Dissolvable Internal Stitches?

Anyone ever had it where there internal stitches work there way out of your body then basically fall apart after they come out. What causes this and why? My incision was beautiful and 4 months post op, I had this spot get really raw at the end of my incision and the dr said it was a dissolvable stitch that was working its way up.
I had the same thing when I had a mole removed, the internal stitch drove me crazy until it came out on its own then I was fine. Dr's say I am one of those people that stump the medical field.
Just curious if anyone else has had the problem. My incision area is always tender now. Felt better 1 month post op than it does now.
Thanks for the insight girls!
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:11 PM

I had a TVH so my incision and stitches were a little different. I did see stitches come out on my underwear and my vaginal cuff was very slow to heal and needed treatment.

I would keep a check on the incision to be sure it does not get infected and is progressively healing. You might call the dr if it looks like things are not going as well as you think it should.

Hang in there

s
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Not on my hyst, but when I had a cyst removed from my scalp, the dissolving stitches from the inside worked their way up, irritating the area on the way, and finally came out thru my scalp. Took about a month and was very annoying.
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:10 AM

Same thing is happening to me. I've had several places on my incision (vertical) open a little and little white stitches working their way out of the areas. The doctor saw this Friday and just told me to keep the incision clean. But it is very frustrating because everytime a stitch works its way out, the places on my incison emit some clear fluid and it gets all over my underwear.
Unread 08-23-2006, 02:46 AM

I hated my non dissolving allegedly soluble vaginal stitches!!!! They irritated all the way up and out, and am convinced are responsible for all my soreness now. Grrrr!!!
Unread 08-23-2006, 07:11 AM

I have the same thing with dissolvable stitches. My 3 incisions on belly all were sore until the internal ones came out, and my Dr. had to remove my dissolvable internal vaginal cuff stitches at 7 weeks...let's just say I about came off the table when he pulled them out after cutting them!
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:59 PM

So that is what is protruding from my skin at the end of the incision? I see my doc tomorrow for my 2-week FU appt and I was going to show this to him. That stitch is rock hard and driving me crazy.
Unread 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM

Thanks girls! I thought I was the only one. My aunt said it took her a year to get them all out. She pulled them out herself. I didnt know if wanted to ask how.
With my lovely swelly belly, that folds right at the incision it does not make my day any better. I feel it constantly but dont see anything. The first one the dr had to dig for and it hurt really bad.
I dont what you can do to help get them out. I dont want to be cut to get the internal ones out. I wonder if the body considers them too foreign to dissolve them, and will that end causing more problems in the long run if they take forever. Know what I mean!
I am not happy you guys are having the same situations, but relieved I am not having something extremely unusual!
Take care sisters!
Unread 08-23-2006, 11:27 PM

I have had the same problem with the disolving stitches. I think they have all finally worked their way out it took about five weeks. What helped me was a vitamin E stick. I apply it a few times a day and it is neater then opening vitamin E pills. Check with your doc first to see if it is ok for you. Within a couple of days of using it the stitches just started coming out. Plus the area of my incisions are now soft instead of hard feeling. The sticks only cost about a dollar. Good luck.
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:45 AM

My DD had surgery (her large intestine removed) at two days of age. Every now and then a suture will still work its way up...and she is now 11 years old! In fact, one worked its way out of the small incision where she had the large IV in her neck just this last weekend.

Some of the sutures are covered with a protein that shoulddissolve -- but some of us seem to have a body chemistry that doesn't dissolve the protein the whole way. It's worth asking about...but it's not unheard of to have sutures "spitting" out even years later, like with my DD. Luckily, in her case, they don't seem to hurt any more!

Audrey

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.