HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

urine leaking from vagina (fistula) urine leaking from vagina (fistula)

Unread 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
urine leaking from vagina (fistula)

I had TAH/BSO July 10, went for my check up and things seemed ok. Now I have urine leaking from my vagina. Has anyone heard of this?
Unread 08-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Oh dear, that is terrible. I have heard of a fistula but I thought it only came from a difficult labour/childbirth. Maybe do a google on it. (Has the doctor determined that it is urine coming from your vagina and not some kind of discharge?)
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Carmelmocha,

I developed a fistula shortly after my hyst...

The main symptom was urine leaking from my vagina. My bladder was accidentally injured and repaired during the hyst, so I came home with a cath for several weeks. However, after that was removed, I kept feeling damp and like urine was coming out my vag...because it was!

Call back your dr ASAP and let him/her know what is happening! There are several tests to see if you have a fistula. The first/easiest is to do a "tampon" test...however, do NOT do this unless you have permission to have sex... you don't want to injure yourself or cause a setback to your recovery.

You can buy an OTC product that turns your urine orange (AZO or pyridiam). In my case, I had been taking vitamins which colored my urine bright yellow so I did not take the OTC product. Anyway, after inserting a tampon, leave it in until you need to urinate. Remove it before urinating and look to see if there is any kind of color on the tampon. In my case, it was bright yellow because of the vitamins.

Your gyne or a uro can also due a test where they put blue dye in your bladder via a cath...They pack your vag with gauze, and then after 15-20 minutes remove it to see if there is any blue dye on the gauze.

In any case, please CALL YOUR DOCTOR! I had a constant bladder infection which required antiobiotic treatment while I was waiting for repair. Urine should NEVER come from your vagina.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to e-mail.

Good luck,
Dee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.