HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Difficulty urinating, urethra pain Difficulty urinating, urethra pain

Unread 08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Angry - Difficulty urinating, urethra pain Difficulty urinating, urethra pain

Hello sisters! I am here once again to ask a question. For the past 3 days I have had difficulty peeing. When I sit down, I have the urge to go and it has been hard to get the flow going. Then, after I do pee, I still have the urge to go and it won't come out. So, I go about my business for an hour or so and then go back to the bathroom and start the process all over again. I have also had horrible urethra pain. It feels like my "pee hole" hurts and if I sit straight down on the vagina, it hurts horribly, like I sat down onto something ...it is a sharp pain. When I went to the urogyn 2 weeks ago, they couldn't get the catheter in once again. 2 nurses and a doctor tried to insert the catheter to no avail. And it did hurt, so the doctor didn't want to push it too hard. But, she said, if push came to shove that she could force the catheter in but that it would be very painful. This was not my doctor either. I see my doctor Thursday to have my 1st series of trigger point injections...so I will ask him what is going on then, but until then, has anyone ever had this problem> And if so, what was it? I know that I did have surgery a couple of months ago and the doctor said it was a partially blocked utethra due to scar tissue,which she removed, and also a narrowed urethra that she stretched. Could this be happening less than 8 weeks later? I sure hope not! I am sick of this...I have also started to leak a little urine when my bladder is empty...no coughing, or laughing. I don't even know when it has happened. I only notice that my panties are damp with urine. UGH, sorry to ramble, but just keep thinking of things. Thanks, Tracy
Unread 08-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Difficulty urinating, urethra pain

Tracy, make sure you tell them about the urethra pain and soreness on sitting directly on it. It may be inflammation still from your surgery on that area...it's worth asking anyway.
I am having problems in that area at the moment as well. I have been prescribed oestrogen cream for vaginal soreness. The gyn said that if the vaginal lining becomes inflamed and sore, it can 'weep' into the urethra near the opening, which could account for my discharge from the urethra. The discharge was often wet and felt like urine leaking out , but wasn't. I was also feeling the need to wee all the time.
So, just a question to think about. Could this be post op inflammation having a hard time healing because of lack of oestrogen?
Unread 08-23-2006, 01:38 AM

PS....I am also sitting onto something that hurts, esp when I rock forward a little, which I am assuming is the urethra opening.
Unread 08-23-2006, 06:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I had a TVT sling inserted when I had pelvic prolapse repairs and abdominal hysterectomy. I also have another cystecele and rectecele. UGH I did keep my ovaries and the doctor did estrogen levels and they turned out normal, but I do have vaginal dryness. My thyroid doc did prescribe vagifem to combat vaginal dryness, but I haven't used it in awhile because I wanted to ask the urogyn when I go Thursday if that is what he would recommend. I have also noticed that my pain is more severe at nighttime after a long day of standing, cleaning, just living in general. Do either of you notice that happening? Could the urethra be infected? And yes, it definately hurts really bad when I sit forward onto the vagina. I sometimes place a warm rag onto the vagina to help with the pain at nightime. This just seems to go on and on with no end in sight. Can the urethra get kinked and cause pain and difficulty urinating? Just been me and hubby's thoughts seeing as to how the pain comes and goes. I do know that I have had way more pain since my car accident in March. I have 2 buldging discs in my back and pelvic pain. The urogyn said the accident exasperated(sp?) the condition. Well, I will let you guys know what the doctor says tomorrow when I go to have trigger point injections directly into the vagina. I am absolutely terrified about that...I have had 4 sets of steroid injections in my back over the past 3 months and hope it is not worse than that. I posted about the injections, but didn't get a good response. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever had this done to them. LOL Thanks for responding, I feel so alone in this seeing as nobody that I know seems to of ever heard of pelvic prolapse and can't seem to relate to my problems. Besides, I hear them sighing when I go into the pain and how this has affected my quality of life. Tracy
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:01 AM

Oh Tracy, you have been through an awful lot recently. I do understand how this must affect your quality of life and how you feel when there seems no end in sight. All made worse, too, by your accident.

I learnt quite a bit about the urethra when I started researching vaginal dryness. Vaginal oestrogen also benefits the urethra and bladder as they share the same type of tissue and muscous membrane, so your vagifem could well help calm your problems in this area if there is inflammation, as well as help your vaginal dryness. They do seem to be connected.Try a search for vagifem or vaginal oestrogen across these forums, particularly the HRT forum.

When I had the prolapses, it did feel much worse after standing and at the end of the day. I also wonder if your cystocele could also be pressing down onto the urethra somehow, causing problems with the flow? It is good that you are seeing your urogyn tomorrow. Make sure that you ask questions, including about vagifem. I would hope they would do a culture test to rule out infection as well, but it does sound as if it is 'mechanical' if you say it comes and goes and is worse at night. Maybe your bulging discs are affecting it?

Do try to keep positive and good luck tomorrow with the obgyn. Let us know what he says.

Barbara

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.