HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

4 cm complex ovarian cyst 4 cm complex ovarian cyst

Unread 08-25-2006, 11:40 AM
4 cm complex ovarian cyst

Went to my family Dr a couple of weeks ago for pelvic/Pap and to see what was going on because my periods have been getting heavier. She suspected fibroids. Went for ultrasound 8/15. Got results yesterday. In addition to fibroids a 4 cm complex cyst on my right ovary showed up. I did some reading, panicked. I called the nurse back this morning. She assured me that if my Dr or the hospital had seen anything alarming that I would have been called back and seen within 24 hrs and that I shouldn't be so upset. (I also have my mammo at same hospital and they do get back immediately if there's a problem). The gyne they referred me to will see me on Sept 21. I've read that complex cysts of that size have a 6-20% chance of being malignant? I didn't think I was having any symptoms of anything except for heavy periods. I did have blood work done and they said I was borderline anemic. I also have had cramping each month when I ovulate but that has been going on for over 10 years. I am being too upset about this? Thanks!
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:17 PM

a 4cm size cyst is really not all that uncommon really, I have had 4 diagnosed ovarian cysts in the past 4 years the past 3 have all come back normal when they have removed them. My first one I had removed was 6cm demoid cyst, the second was 7cm. complex cyst, the third was 8cm. and 80 fluid oz.. The cyst I have right now 6 weeks ago was 8cm. by 10 cm. and growning I suspect even larger now because my abdomen is very swollen. I am getting ready to have a TAH BSO in less than 2 weeks. but all of mine have been cancer free. If you have a history of cancer you may want to get to a gyn surgeon right away but if you don't don't worry too much about it, just get into a gyn to get their opinion when you can.

I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 08-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks! Nope. No history of anything except some skin cancer on any side of the family. I'll just breathe deeply.
Unread 08-25-2006, 04:07 PM

The waiting is the worst. I am having surgery next week to remove a 12 cm cyst. I was told if it is under 5 cms, they use a wait and see attitude to see if it begins to resolve itself in a few weeks. If you are really nervous maye you could request a CA-125. I know that the test has both false positives and negatives, but maybe if your number if low it will help you calm downa nd if the number is high they will hurry up and get you in and get things all figured out.
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks. Yes, waiting is awful. I'm just going to relax and have a calm weekend. Hope all goes well for you next week.
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Hi Cindyoh. Technically, if a cyst has even one septation some Drs. consider that a complex cyst, even though that type of cyst has a very low probability of being malignant. Mine fell into this category and my Dr. monitored it at six month intervals for 18 months before there was a compelling reason to evaluate it surgically. If it were me, I think I would not be uncomfortable knowing I had an appointment with a gyn in September. Ask to see the sonogram when you go in, and each time after if they do decide to monitor it, so that you know what they are basing their opinions and can determine how comfortable you are with their recommendations.

Best wishes
Summer
Unread 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Hi Summer2, the thing that started this whole business was that my family doc said it was time to get an ultrasound and a referral to a gynecologist and have that talk about a hysterectomy because of the fibroids and heavy bleeding. I figure if she's going to go ahead and do a hysterectomy then just go ahead and take that pesky cyst so I can stop fretting.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.