HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

General anesthesia for LEEP? General anesthesia for LEEP?

Unread 08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
General anesthesia for LEEP?

Hey everyone. I want to thank those who have PM'd me or responded to my threads & apologize for those I haven't gotten to. My life is in utter chaos right now between the cancer stuff, esophagus problems (had an endoscopy & biopsies less than 2 weeks ago), severe migraines, recent bronchitis, marriage & financial problems and depression. I feel 80 rather than 36! lol Anyway, not mentioning all that for a pity party, just as a reason for not being on as much as I'd like. I swear I've had 20 doctor appts this month

I'm having my 3rd LEEP this Friday. The gyn tried to do it in his office last week, but couldn't get to my cervix well enough & said it would hurt me too much. He also has to get my cervical canal (still not sure how he plans to get up there with THAT thing?!) & said he wants to be sure to do a good job, so he wants to do it at the hospital now under general anesthesia. I originally thought it was going to be twilight anesthesia, but it's not.

Has anyone ever had a LEEP like this? I guess it's more involved than my previous two (this one came back as possible glandular involvement - don't know if that makes a difference). Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Unread 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM

I had a Cone Biopsy which I understand is just a more thorough LEEP under general. I was glad to be put under my first LEEP was not fun being awake. The doctor said it was a good thing that I was under because he had to take almost all of my cervix and had trouble controling the bleeding. I am a big believer in the less I know/feel during medical procedures the better. Good luck, I hope it goes well.

Jamie
Unread 08-31-2006, 04:50 AM

I had a leep under GA as prolapse made it dificult to get to cervix,it was easy peasy off to sleep for 20 mins and 45 mins in recovery room and home for a little nap in the afternoon. Good luck.
Fiona
Unread 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the replies! I guess the only reason I'm so nervous is because of my last bad experience with GA. I had a sinus infection at the time & as luck would have it, I'm having some sort of coughing/drainage stuff now as well I'm sure everything will be fine!

Fiona, I'm surprised you got out of there so soon after being under GA! I wasn't even out out of the hospital that quick after being under twilight with my endoscopy a couple of weeks ago! LOL I think I need to come to YOUR hospital!

Jamie, I'm with you on the less I feel the better! lol My first gyn used twilight with my 1st LEEP, so when my current dr told me he was going to do my 2nd LEEP in his office, I almost freaked! It wasn't really that bad though. I took a sedative to calm me & of course he used a local anesthetic. Still hurt like a you-know-what, but it was better than I imagined. Apparently, this one is going to be more involved though, so I have no idea what to expect.

Does anyone know how on Earth they do a LEEP up in the cervical canal?! The biopsies he did up there a few weeks ago also came back CIN III with possible glandular involvement, so he said he plans to get that too...but how??? It seems like he'd have to take my whole cervix to get up there with that instrument. I'm confused!! lol
Unread 08-31-2006, 04:22 PM

Ok not for te fainthearted but a link to a step by step leep procedure including pictures can be found at http://screening.iarc.fr/colpochap.p...=1&chap=13.php

It seems that to get into the canal they have extenders of 1cm!

The 45 minute wait in recovery is nothing on my 3 year old son who had dental surgery under GA for over 1.5 hours he was allowed out after 20 minutes as they felt he would be happier! That's New Zealand for you! Very laid back!
Fionax
Unread 09-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindagot
Ok not for te fainthearted but a link to a step by step leep procedure including pictures can be found at http://screening.iarc.fr/colpochap.p...=1&chap=13.php

It seems that to get into the canal they have extenders of 1cm!

The 45 minute wait in recovery is nothing on my 3 year old son who had dental surgery under GA for over 1.5 hours he was allowed out after 20 minutes as they felt he would be happier! That's New Zealand for you! Very laid back!
Fionax
Thank you for the link! That was actually quite helpful! lol I'm the kind of person who like to know just what to expect.

I had the LEEP today. It went wonderfully. No problems whatsoever. I was in & out within 4 hours. It would've been less except the pre-op nurse I saw Tuesday told me to go to the wrong place where I sat for an HOUR this morning before someone told me The anestheseologist was very understanding of my nervousness though & took extra care, it seemed. I didn't talk to the doctor afterward, but he told my DH that he was optimistic that he got it all. I have my follow up Sept. 11th, so I guess we'll find out for sure.

Thanks again for the support & answers!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.