HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

difficulty urinating difficulty urinating

Unread 09-01-2006, 01:57 AM
difficulty urinating

Did anyone have trouble urinating post-op? I had a tvh with bladder sling Wed. morning at 7:00 am. I was sent home from the hospital Thurs. morning around 11:00 because I could urinate after the cath was taken out. Now, I'm having a lot of difficulty going...I certainly feel like I need to but it reaches a certain point and just a trickle comes out. I'm drinking lots of juices and water hoping this will help. Will call the dr. this morning if it doesn't get better, was just wondering if this was normal...thanks! Tracy
Unread 09-01-2006, 02:38 AM
So Im not insane...

I thought I was the only one with that problem. Iv done alot of reserch, and they (the internet places) say that it should gradually get better. I hope so. I had trouble at first. I couldnt pass urine at all after the cath. was removed. They had to reinsert one. It was tragic. But, after awhile mine lessened a little, and it still feels wierd, but things are moving. Thank god.
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:10 AM
difficulty urinating

Peeing is a adventure. In the morning it comes out in a trickle, but after a cup of coffee it gets stronger. I have to flex (kegal like) certain ways to be able to pee. The bladder, along with other organs has been abused by the sugery and is healing. After 9 weeks it is nice not to cough and pee myself, or feel like it is falling out. The sling thing is weird however, I have a lump under the skin where it is attached. Heal well all.....
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:48 AM
difficulty urinating

I also had trouble peeing post op. I had to really relax and concentrate to be able to go. Sometimes it would take up to 30 minutes to be able to finally get it all out. I noticed it was worse the more I held it, like overnight. It helped me to try to "schedule" times to go. If I hadn't went in about an hour and a half or so, I would get up and try to go whether it felt like I needed to or not. It SLOWLY got better and better. Now at 4 weeks post op it is only hard first thing in the morning and that is getting much better too. My dr. said it was because of all the trauma to the bladder and it would have to kind of teach itself to release again.

Don't worry!!! It will get better! Good luck to you!
Unread 09-01-2006, 08:08 AM
difficulty urinating

Thanks so much for all the replies...it's so nice to hear from others who are having the same experiences. I think I will go fix a nice big cup of coffee and wait...lol. I was able to "bear down" and get a little more action this morning, so I think it is getting a bit better. Happy healing everyone!
Unread 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
difficulty urinating

Tracy, I've had problems peeing too. I came down with a UTI and it's been almost a week taking Kflex (sp?) and it's gotten some better. My doc told me yesterday at my post op to be sure that I totally empty my bladder when I go. She said pressing on it will sometimes help with that. I'm not real crazy about pressing on anything right now,but I did try it this morning and it seemed to help! Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:25 PM
difficulty urinating

Yep, I had lots of trouble peeing after surgery. They had to reinsert the catheter once and after that I could go on my own, but it wasn't easy. It still takes me awhile to go and I still get the bladder spasms, but it is much better the last couple days. Hope yours gets better soon also! Teresa
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
difficulty urinating

my doc sent me w/ a sitz bath and that has helped tremedously
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:37 PM
difficulty urinating

I had hammock inserted for euretha, and had difficulty "p" had to sit and let muscle relax and also got the trickle. Doc gave me "prosed" it worked great it is for bladder spasm and inflamation after surgery (also used for uti).
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:12 PM
difficulty urinating

Prosed is exactly what they gave me yesterday! I've only taken 3 pills as of right now and it seems to be helping with the spasms a lot!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.