HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

BIG heart palps...Hormones? Potassium? Magnesium? Ugh BIG heart palps...Hormones? Potassium? Magnesium? Ugh

Unread 09-02-2006, 12:26 AM
BIG heart palps...Hormones? Potassium? Magnesium? Ugh

I've had big palps off and on (mostly in the evening) for about 3 weeks now. They are driving me nuts, I've tried to watch and change everything I know that would perhaps cause them, to no avail.. I've UP'd my estrogen, cut out caffeine, took deep breaths, try to pretend I dont have a ton of stress, even bought some magnesium and potassium tonic tonight...

Any Ideas? They come and go, but are here more than not...I hate it!! I had them post-surgery (altho' not to this degree), and estrogen made them go away back then....

In the last yr, I've had a heart scan, EKG, all okay. And short of going to the E.R., I'm not sure what else to do! My doc says ins won't pay for blood work, pushes the hormone stuff off to the GYN, then the gyn says "if you aren't having hot flashes, you are balanced and don't need blood work"

Nice eh? Waaaa aaaa..
Unread 09-02-2006, 07:58 PM

I hear you! Hopefully some knowledgeable sisters will stop by and offer advice. I had TAH/BSO December 2003 and have started having exactly the same problem...they say it's PVC's but quite unnerving to say the least! Help please!!!!!!
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Can Palpitations Come At Any Stage of Meno?

Much to my chagrin, after being off hormones for 18 months (after 18 years of taking them) I started having pretty regular heart palpitations a few months ago. They would stop for a month or so and then start again. I was often having them twice a day lasting for an hour or two before I started back on Vivelle Dot patch .025 mgs. The palpitations stopped almost immediately.

I am perplexed that I did so well the first year I quit hormones but started having trouble the last six months. Hot flashes worsened, as well as the palpitations started. Must confess I definitely did not feel as well in general off hormones. I really though I was off hormones for good as I am 60 (still have ovaries). Goes to show it helps to keep your options open.
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:11 PM

dear compassionate 1, hey ") i know just where your at , my palp's started years ago, i 1st tried anti-antiety medications, but did not want to depend on those, they got so bad caused a irregular rythm caught on EKG, now i try herbal med's & successfully they have worked for me, or i drink chamomille tea, meditate, cut back on allll caffeine even in chocolate
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:53 PM

I've noticed the same thing - it scared me at first, but now I am getting used to it. Seems to happen more when I am either getting ready for a walk or get worked up about something. I am off caffaine completly, surgery was 3 weeks ago, using horm. patch - unsure if I should mention to doc because I just kind of thought it was in my head - have taken to sitting down and resting when it happens and concentrate on slowing down my breathing, seems to help - are there any suggestions out there on what it might be?
Unread 09-04-2006, 05:11 AM

I started having palpitations about a year ago. Was told it was primarily stress. Went to see cardiologist just to be sure. Have a heart murmur and family history, blah, blah. I was on a mild diuretic for blood pressure. WE changed that to a cardiac drug. Didn't help. Changed to a beta blocker-toprol xl and added 400mg mag ox. That seems to help mostly. Some people need a higher level of mag, AND as you've all figured out messing with our hormones doesn't help much. Prior to my surgery, I was stressing too much so we upped my toprol dose to control the palps. Nobody likes that kick in the chest feeling and they can be dangerous in that they can set off a bad rhythm if they happen often enough and at the right time in the cardiac cycle. Anyway, since my surgery, I've been paying attention and have had some problems, but not a lot-maybe 'cause I'm not working and am sleeping a lot? I'm on climara patch and have started with evening primrose and am looking at multivits.

Now, having said all that, if you feel like you've made all the modifications in your diet that you can, then you need to pursue it. Do you have a cardiologist? Are you on BP meds? If you haven't seen a cardiologist yet, then that would be my suggestion for a next step. They know the med that would work best for you to suppress these palpitations.

Hope you get some relief.

Donna
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM

hello quilter 01, sometimes they think it is a electrolyte imbalance, but for the most part most docs tell us it's hormonal (peri meno or menopause) i tool matters into my own hands & mind and looked up about herbal remedies (i don't take to well to prescription med.s)
i went into my local health food store & asked question , i talked with my primary doc (as u should also) and she rec . calcium everyday would help me sleep & decease the Hot flashes/night sweats , all this statred to affect me before the hysterec. (i just had mine 2 weeks ago) i have not had any herbal med since 2 weeks prior surg. (i only take small drops) I have had a couple episodes of heart pap.s after surg, after home form hosp. , but i calmed &took deep breaths and put on my meditation tapes
Unread 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM

I have taken calcium and magnesium for years and it didn't prevent the palpitations. I even tried drinking low-sodium V8 juice which has a lot of potassium when I got the palpitations. Nothing worked but going back on estrogen. Of course, calcium and magnesium might work for someone else.
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone..

I found myself at the ER at 2am Mon morning, they did an EKG and decided to admit me.. My potassium level was (borderline) low, but after a heart scan, a tread stress test (both with dye), a chest xray and blood work, they couldn't find anything wrong! Except.... ANXIETY!!!

What I found interesting, when they gave me the IV, took some blood and could see the extra beats on the EKG, I was pretty nervous, so they put some Ativan in my IV, and almost immediately the palps stopped!! I'm so sensitive to meds/supplements, I became relaxed immediately and felt a calm in my chest. It even made me sleep that night without Ambien which was wonderful. I've since learned 10% of people who use Ambien get heart palps!!

Being Superwoman and all :-z (a single mom for 16 years, lost 11 co-workers on Sept 11 -on the airplanes, have been laid off 3 times since, been injured on the airplane and on OCC. status. Had to move a few times due to all that, had my hysto, then shingles, my employer took our pensions last summer, and through it all, thought I was handling it pretty well!!) ..Fast forward to now, receiving 1/3 my pay, selling home to survive, have an unsupportive ex (financial or otherwise) Parents are ill and in another state.. Heart Palpitations!! Can I get Ativan in a 5 gallon jug? Hehe!

Seriously..Does anyone know anything about this med? good, bad or different?

I have a dr. appt to figure out what we're going to do to lower my anxiety level...Any ideas that really work? (without knocking you out) I've tried ALL the natural methods and suggestions from well meaning friends to no avail...

Thanks for all the support..
Unread 09-05-2006, 03:45 PM

hello sweetie--wow you've really been thru the wringer the last few!!! i've had some similar stresses in the last year and have tried many things too...the one that finally seemed to help along with balancing my vitamins/minerals/fish oils/HRT is chi gong--especially the dvds for stress and energy flow(beginners) by lee holden as seen on PBS. i know you've probably been overwhelmed by suggestions like this from friends and family but just thought i'd share this one as it works for me and brings a real energy balance to one's system...i study shiatsu and am a massage therapist and teacher and just find these videos to really simplify and distill the key info for us westerners...be a bit cautious with the Ativan--my mom is on it and it has really affected her memory. good luck in your healing journey and another can't hurt.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.