Need Advice - Pain in Left Lung Area (Long, sorry) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Advice - Pain in Left Lung Area (Long, sorry) Need Advice - Pain in Left Lung Area (Long, sorry)

Unread 05-19-2001, 01:16 AM
Need Advice - Pain in Left Lung Area (Long, sorry)

For the past 3 days I've been having sharp pains in my left lung area and up the left side of my neck. I feel it on my side, not the front or the back. It hurts when I breathe in the most, but sometimes when I breathe out, it feels like a muscle cramp in the lung area (you know how it gets rock hard). I went to my family doctor and he said that this could be a side effect of taking Premarin. (I started taking Premarin 1.25mg just this past January, was on the patch before that since last May). He told me to stop taking it for a week and he gave me some never before heard of pain pill...which didn't help, so I took 2 Darvocets earlier. Ended up sleeping by 8:30. Woke up at 3am almost in tears because of this pain. Took another Darvocet, pain lessened but still there. I'm supposed to call Dr. on Monday with update.

DH wanting me to go to emergency room. I've been trying to tell him that I want to wait and see, like the doctor said. BUT the first thing I thought of when I woke up this way was to go to the ER. I don't know what to do now.

I'm a 2-pack a day smoker and my oldest brother has lung cancer so I'm nervous as all heck. I know I need to quit, but it's not the right time yet for me.

Did anyone else have this pain as a side effect of Premarin? If so, what was it and how was it handled? And how did you deal with the pain? Should I just stop taking Premarin altogether? I'll be calling my gyn on Monday as well, but would like opinions/answers to get through the weekend.

Please, any responses will be extremely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2001, 08:07 AM

{{{Frankie}}} While I cant really give you any information on premarin (I have not taken it ) I would think that a call to your doctors office is in order. He needs to know that you are having that sort of pain. That is not normal and seems by what you are saying to be getting worse. He may tell you to stay home but he may want you to go ahead and go to ER either way he will be informe and your mind will be at ease.
You really do need to give up smoking hun. I know its hard but it can be done, if for nothing else the reason you listed. (cancer risk) I smoked for 15 or 16 years and quit in Nov 2000 before my surgery. It was hard the first month or two but now I dont even think about it other than I cant stand to be around the smell. Really is funny to me how I smoked all those years and never really realized how bad it smells. Anyway, do try to quit for yourself and your family. It saves you a bunch of money to, especially now days.
Ok I'm gonna stop my recovered smoker speach and say goodbye, but do give your doc a call
Unread 05-19-2001, 10:08 AM

Frankie..i am on Premarin .625...my DD told me that there are certain side effects that warrant a call to her IMMEDIATELY...I remeber one of them was any breathing problems or pain in the chest area...blood clots are a big issue with Premarin
One thing I have learned since my hysterectomy is better safe than sorry!! What i thought was a UTI turned out to be a prolapsed uterus and hysterectomy...what i thought was me going crazy was hormonal imbalance
Call your dr....please..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2001, 10:46 AM
Thank You for Replying

BrendaLee - As I tell my mother: I know, I know. I realize that I do need to quit the cancer sticks. I just don't know how. Every time I try cold turkey, I last about 3 hours. I appreciate your concern though and I know that I WILL quit soon. So hard to break a 22 year habit. (Yes, I started early).

MsShelle - My husband was reminding me of the same thing. Funny thing is: I don't remember my doctor telling me about the chest pains. DH tried to call yesterday and couldn't get through to her. I tried again to at least reach her service this morning, but couldn't. So I'll wait until Monday. I may have to go to the ER this weekend. The idea of a blood clot scares me.

Thank you both again.
Unread 05-19-2001, 11:55 AM
I know how you feel

Hi Frankie!

I know exactly how you feel. I too once experienced that same effect that you are describing, however, I did go to the ER.

Mine was lasting like you said 3-4 days before my DH decided it was time to go. They did some x-rays, and told me all it was......a pulled muscle in the chest wall area. I thought I was having a heart attack because of the way it felt. But no, it was just a pulled muscle (thank goodness). I too smoke, but only 1 pack a day. I was taking Premarin 1.25mg, but its been awhile since all this occured so I can't remember if this was happening at the same time that I was taking the Premarin. I am no longer taken the Premarin due to the severe headaches I was having.

I would have a doctor check it though just to ease your mind. I wish you luck! Keep me informed of what they say.....

Jen-Jen
Unread 05-19-2001, 03:47 PM

It could be a blood clot - the pain on breathing alerted me. Please go to the ER now if the pain is still there. You may dissolve the clot or you may not - it's important to seek help now - don't wait.
I was on a GNRH agonist (Synarel) and started Premarin the same time. Had a similar scenario so maybe it is the Premarin. The package insert mentions chest pain or pain like that anywhere else in your body a reason to cease taking it immediately. Some of mine was a fluid buildup from starting both meds at once and on one occasion I thought I was having a heart attack. It did settle but looking back I think I may have been VERY lucky. I'm off Premarin now and no other estrogen has given me that problem.
The smoking will increase your chances of getting blood clots and although it's a hard habit to kick you really will have to think seriously about it now. Some say a transdermal method is better for smokers - I don't know if that's true but it might be worth a try until you kick the habit. Either way with all the known and unknown compounds in Premarin even an oral natural estrogen like Estrace may be a better choice. We had one lady in here with a similar problem who turned out to be allergic to Premarin.
Unread 05-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Update - Went to ER

Turns out that the pain has nothing to do with the Premarin. After getting a chest x-ray, it appears that I have a partially collapsed lung. I have no idea how this could have happened! I had 2 albuterol treatments and got sent home with an albuterol inhaler, 800mg Motrin, an antibiotic, and Vicodin.

I'm real sorry to have wasted board space, but I thank you all for the advice to go to the ER. You gals are great.
Unread 05-19-2001, 11:23 PM

Frankie, my brother-in-law went to emergency and found out he had a "complete" collapsed lung and bad emphezema. All of it was due to his 3 pack a day smoking. We almost lost him but he is home after 2 weeks and is doing better, thank the Lord. Best wishes to you, I know about the smokes, they will get us somehow sooner or later,..I don't know, I might be wrong about your case, take care and get better!..Hugs, Annie
Unread 05-20-2001, 07:46 AM

Frankie, glad you got some help and were able to come home. I know all about lung problems, one of my children has severe asthma. That is nothing to take lightly.
Once again, now would be a good time to let go of that habit. I know you are not allowed to smoke right now and please take heed to what the doc says or a trip back for a chest tube will be in order. Those are NO fun Have you tried zyban or wellbutrin (sp) ? I used zyban for 3 days and did notice a difference. Then got a cold and had to stop taking them because of the decongestant but while I did take them it did seem to help. After that I just went cold turkey. I kept getting bronchitis everytime I got a cold and knew my lungs were suffering from the smoking but if youre not ready it will be very hard to quit. When your ready you will do it.
Please take good care of yourself and follow your doctors advice. BTW, post anytime you want, there is no such thing as wasted board space, thats what we are here for.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register