HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Headaches- too little estrogen or too much testosterone? Headaches- too little estrogen or too much testosterone?

Unread 09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Headaches- too little estrogen or too much testosterone?

Lately I have had a rash of bad headaches and they tend to occur on a daily basis. Some feel like migraines which I treat with Imitrex and others feel unlike any headache I have had before. They seemed to begin when I had to go off my Vivelle Dot to see if I had ovarian remnant syndrome. The headaches and hot-flashes were so bad I did not last long without my dot. I assumed the headaches were due to low estrogen and they went away when I resumed my HRT. Then they came back. Puzzled, I asked for my estrodiol to be tested and it came back at 67- a bit low. So my doctor added an additional .05 patch to my .1 patch. I also switched from methyltestosterone to a compounded micronized testosterone cream. It's done wonders but I am wondering if it is causing my headaches. I am on a 2% cream and maybe I should only take the equivalent of 1%. Or should I ask for a different estrogen delivery system like Femring? Or maybe Tri-est? Any advice or similar experiences? I cannot get a doctors appt until Oct 26. Many thanks.
Unread 09-11-2006, 07:11 AM

I have hormone induced migraines also but no one has ever told me what hormone is controlling them. The week of period I have them on a daily basis and during my ovulation week I have them frequently. I hope your thread brings some answers.
Unread 09-11-2006, 05:45 PM

I've never had migraines until after my hyst and can't quite figure out what causes them. I had them worse when I was just on Premarin. I switched to Prempro (in other words, added progesterone) and get them less frequently. My only idea for the cause would be that our hormone levels fluctuate a bit during the month and we get the headaches/migraines. I've tried adjusting dosages but without success. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. =)
Unread 09-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Lauralis,

2 % testosterone cream is a high dose. I am beginning on mine later this week and I am being started out on 1 mg.-not 1 %(which is equalivant 10 mg.) Dr. Elizabeth Vilet has written a book on this and says that 1% and 2 % are too high for most women.

Maybe you should just half your dose of the testosterone cream and see if you feel better.

I have been on Vivelle Dot 0.1 for almost a year now. Can't remember that I have had even a single headache all year-but having said that, was not prone to headaches prior to surgery.

Hope you feel better soon.

I send a
Unread 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM

Lisa, I don't have any great answers for your situation, but just wanted to share that I too was having horrific headaches and migraines anytime testosterone was added to my hrt regiman. It started with Estratest HS a year ago right out of surgery (which has methyltestosterone in it) and worsened when I increased the dose to FS. After three months of headaches I switched to several other hrts and settled on Triest for six months. The headaches all but disappeared but I still had many other menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings, fatigue, sweats) regardless of dose. Eventually I switched to Biest and added compounded testosterone .5mg troche per day (due to very low testosterone levels when hormones tested) and the headaches came back along with vicious migraines that put me into ER once. Never had migraines in my life before and it was awful! Since the Biest was not helping at all and even without the testosterone the migraines continued, I decided to switch to Vivelle Dot .075mg. I figured with a more continuous flow of estrogen the fluctuations would be less dramatic. And in the three weeks I have been on this patch, I have not had any migraines or headaches at all. They have completely disappeared. I still don't know why I had such awful headaches/migraines triggered when testosterone was added, but I think the constant fluctuations with hormones were a factor as well as low estrogen. I also think that because I was on such a tiny dose of estrogen at the time testosterone was added, the testosterone was not working properly and it was converting to estrogen to meet those needs. I would like to try testostererone cream again down the line but for now I am happy with just adjusting to and working with the Vivelle Dot to get that right.
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Thanks so much for the responses! I am going to try and reduce my testosterone since this is the easiest thing to do and I can control it due to the fact that it is a cream and I can apply it several times per week or just a very small amount. I suffered my whole life with severe migraines which may have been androgen-based (because I also had cystic acne). Then when I had my ovaries out, they stopped, but so did my libido and sense of well-being. When I began the testosterone cream may have been when they slowly began to creep back, however, I'm unsure. I will post again if I find out from a doctor definitively, WHICH of the blasted hormones (or lack thereof) causes the headaches!
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:25 AM

The addition of testosterone cream gave me horrendous headaches. Especially causing facial pressure around the nose and eye area.
Unread 09-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks Sweet Ryn- those are some of the symptoms I have had and initially attributed to low estrogen...hmmmm. Now I'm starting to think it may be the testosterone. I had fewer headaches on the pill form, the methyltestosterone, but it also did not work as well.
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM

I had hormone-related migraines for 5 years until I had my hyst. They used to knock me right off my feet with vomiting, etc. I haven't had one in almost a year since my hyst and being on a constant dose of Estrogen. The doctor told me I was getting them before my period because my estrogen was taking a big dip. So now that I am on a level dose, no more headaches, thank god. Also, the addition of the testosterone is probably throwing things out of whack and your body has to adjust. Good luck.
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:29 AM

I have had terrible migraines since I was a child. That is one of the reasons that I had my ovaries removed in the first place. I always got my worst ones right around my period. I had my hyst. 1 year ago & at first my headaches were gone. I was feeling great. I was on .05 Vivelle dot. At one point I tried adding prometrium to help me sleep & because my face was starting to break out. The prometrium gave me terrible migraines everyday that I took it. So, I stopped after about 1 week. I was doing well again, once I stopped it. Then after a while my headaches came back. It was just like you said.... some of them were typical migraines & some were very different. They would always turn into a migraine though & I was taking Imitrex like it was candy. I finally decided that maybe my .05 Vivelle Dot was too high now. So, I stopped using it about 3 weeks ago. After about 1 1/2 weeks my headaches were gone, but my hot flashes & night sweats were here with a vengence! I decided to try doing a saliva test before restarting anything. I sent it out on friday & am waiting for the results to come before I try something new. It has been hard not taking anything when I am feeling so terrible & not sleeping well. I am hanging in there & hoping I will find something to make me feel better again, & not cause migraines. I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly what you are going through.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.