HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

2 Week Post-Op appointment 2 Week Post-Op appointment

Unread 09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
2 Week Post-Op appointment

I see my Gyn on Friday for the first time since my surgery. I am 2 weeks post-op today so the appointment will be almost 3 weeks after. What happens at this time? Do you have an internal exam and if so, how was that for those of you who have gone through it? I truly don't want anyone touching me yet but I suppose it's going to happen . Can anyone share their first post-op experiences, please?

Lynn
TAH/RSO due to fibroids, heavy bleeding adhesions, right ovarian cyst.
Unread 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM

Hi! I just had my 2wks. post-op appt. last week (for a TAH/BSO). He checked the incision area (my belly), and then I got to ask questions. The bad thing was he did do a finger exam (sorry-it sounds gross). Then he said at my 4wk. post-op there would be a full internal exam. Can't wait for that - NOT!!! Good luck to you, and write down any questions or thoughts that you might want to talk to your doc. about.
Unread 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM

I had my post op last week which was a day shy of my 2 week mark. She looked at my incisions and we talked about my HRT. Nothing internal for me and I don't have to go back for a year. That was my experience but everyone is different.
Unread 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM

I had my pre-op at 10 days. No internal exam for me either. He checked the incisions, took the stitches out and discussed what he could do to help me get some sleep.
Unread 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Today is my two week "anniversary" too. My appt is tomorrow afternoon, so I'll share my experience then. I do have new pain that is really sharp that comes and goes. If I didn't have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, I would have gone to the doc today.
Unread 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Both my Drs. (Gyn and Uro) told me at my preop that they would not "poke around" in there at the first appointment because "that is cruel".
I will have a full exam at 6 weeks.
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM

I had appt at one week and two. No internal on either. At the first week they just took a look outside and looked at my belly. They took my temperature and asked me and my hubby questions about my pain. I said I thought I was doing ok with the pain. Hubby chimed in and said that I needed help. So, they upped my dosage of pain meds. I started HRT right away because I had been on Lupron before and was under no circumstances going to go through that hell. We adjusted my HRT in between wk 1 and 2 with a phone call. . Week two, I was much better. No Internal until wk. 6 and I was never once in pain at the Docs office. On the other hand, I was wiped out from the journey.
I hope this helps. Take CAre of YOu.
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:54 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I couldn't imagine having to go through an internal at app. 2 weeks post-op but then again this is my first and only (obviously) trip around this block. 6 weeks sounds much more endurable. I've never thought I was a whiny baby but for some reason this surgery has knocked me for a loop. Only other previous surgeries ever were 2 C-sections and from that, I guess I should have remembered the 6 week thing but then again, there was no follow up appt. for me until 6 weeks. Okay, it's almost 3 a.m. and I'm babbling. Am definitely going to talk to my Dr. on Friday about this not sleeping thing. I sit around all day alone while DH is at work talking to the dogs and now I'm up all night talking to myself because even the dogs are asleep!!! Thanks!

Lynn
TAH/RSO 8/28/06
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Hi Lynn - Today was my 2 week appt, and I promised to let you know what my experience was. I had a TVH, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I did have a vaginal exam, which really threw me when the doc told me what she planned to do. While it was somewhat uncomfortable, it really wasn't too bad. She wanted to check the stitches, and said all was healing well - whew! The only thing is she put me on iron since my blood count was low. So over all - I'm doing really well, and I hope you are too!
Unread 09-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Thanks bianca! Sorry you had to go through that discomfort and if I do, I'm sure I too will survive! My doc may do the same since I've had some bleeding (not bad) but when I called she thought maybe one of my inside stitches may have broken. I had a TAH. Time will tell. Thanks for sharing!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.