HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

cervical freezing after LSH ??? cervical freezing after LSH ???

Unread 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
cervical freezing after LSH ???

I am 4 weeks post op from LSH and have been bleeding non-stop. First it was just spotting, then it got heavier. I saw my dr. last week (3 weeks post op) and he said I have cells in my cervix that are trying to take over what my uterus used to do. My cervix is trying to have a period! I've got to tell you, it's being successful because I haven't stopped bleeding since surgery!!! My dr. recommended freezing the inside of my cervix to kill those cells and hopefully stop them from doing this. I did not go through surgery to still have to deal with a period!!! That's why we did the hyst. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Or has anyone else had this done? I really need some reassurance that this will take care of it. Basically, my dr. said nothing is 100% guaranteed. But, it sounds like it's this, still having periods, or have surgery to remove the cervix if it doesn't work!!! Any encouragement would be great! Thanks, ladies!
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Hi Kelly,

I had a LSH also. I have read on Hyster Sisters that some LSH ladies can have spotting for up to 6 weeks in post-op. Possibly that could be what is going on?? Also, if one or both ovaries and the cervix are retained in post-op, there is a chance of a mini-period. But...since you said you have been bleeding since surgery, it could still be post-op bleeding.

Also, I have read - again - on Hyster Sisters that some cervix-retaining ladies do have post-op cervix cauterization as an outpatient in their Dr's office.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks. I don't think it's just post op spotting, though, because instead of getting lighter and lighter it's getting heavier. It is like a full blown period. There is nothing spotting-like about it anymore.

Also, do you know where you read about those other women that have had this done after LSH? I can't find anything.

Thanks so much! I love hearing from everyone.
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Hi Kelly,

Here is a link that might help:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...+cauterization

Hope that helps.

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks, Mary!
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry you are going thru this. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it's important to tell you my experience. I also had an LSH and I was told I "might" have a mini period once every 3 months. This turned into 3-5 days every single month and I felt a terrible nausea that I never felt before. There were also assorted pains, cramps, even a heavy feeling. All of this was a sign that my cervix was failing me. As you said, it was trying to still be a uterus. So I had it removed just 6 weeks ago. I can't begin to tell youhow much better I feel. I know now that I was in trouble right after my LSH and when they biopsyed the cervix it showed "chronic inflammation". In other words it Never would have gotten better on it's own.
To be fair, my dr told me there was a 3% chance of this happening and I am the one who decided to keep my cervix. And when I told him how much I was bleeding and how often, he said flat out to have the cervix removed and not try the freezing etc. He said he has done that many times and has never felt that there was a high success rate. But again he left it up to me. And
I am glad I had mine removed.
Please don't let me scare you. I'm just trying to validate what you are saying. If you are bleeding that much and this keeps happening I think you should do something about it. Mini Periods EVERY month are not really what you should have. It's suppose to be like 1-2 days every 2 or 3 months. Or so I was suppose to be doing.
I understand how upset you must feel that you might need more procedures or surgery. I sure do. If it's possible I would try to wait for 3 months and see if things get better. But you know what you are seeing and if you are having periods with clots etc again (because I was) then
you are right and something should be done.
I hope I helped and didn't scare you. We Sisters who go back to have the cervix removed later are a very very small minority.
Unread 09-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Thank you for your honesty and candor. I appreciate it. I have the freezing scheduled and it can't hurt anything, so we'll try it and see what happens. Thank you, again.
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I wish you the very best and I hope the freezing works. I really do. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be thinking of you..

And by the way, I'm sorry you had to go thru this. I understand how disappointing it can be to read how everyone had their surgeries and are on the mend and you are still facing problems. I'm just glad you can deal with it now instead of a going thru it for a whole year like I did.

Best Wishes!!!
Unread 09-16-2006, 09:19 AM

Hi Kelly,
I am so glad I saw this post. I am having almost the same thing. I will be 4 weeks on Monday. Mine started at 3 weeks with spotting then increased to a period type flow Thursday. Went to dr friday morning and he said my bleeding is on the outer side of the cervix not from inside. He did a pap and i go back next Friday for cauterizing if the pap is clear. When are you scheduled for? I hope everything works out for you...I know I am very nervous about it all.
Unread 09-17-2006, 06:01 AM

Hi Maxie,

My freezing is scheduled for the 2nd of Oct. It was the first available appt. they had. I was really hoping to get right in. That's nice that you get to go back next Friday already!! I'm not really nervous. There are no risks, as far as I know. If this doesn't work, I'm going to really push to get back in for them to remove the cervix. I did not have surgery to still have to think about bleeding. That's why I had the surgery in the first place. And I have a health savings account, so I want to do anything that needs to be done in this calendar year yet, so my deductible is already met and it's 100% covered. If we have to wait until after January to do more, if needed, my huge deductible starts all over and it's all out of my pocket again!!! So, hopefully this freezing will work. I hope yours works, too!!! Good luck. Don't be nervous. I wish you well. Keep me posted, ok???

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway