HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long for hematoma to re-absorb? How long for hematoma to re-absorb?

Unread 09-13-2006, 03:58 AM
How long for hematoma to re-absorb?

I have a rather large hematoma at my incision line. Went to the Dr. on Monday, she didn't want to open the incision to drain the hematoma, nor did she think it was a good idea to aspirate with a needle. She said to watch it for signs of infection and massage it, that the body will re-absorb the hematoma. Ok, got all that, but how long will it take? I'm kind of freaking out since it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller and I have Plastic Surgery scheduled for Oct 5, which has already been post-poned once. Anyone know how long it should take for the hematoma to disappear?

Thanks for listening!
Unread 09-13-2006, 05:00 PM

I am sorry you have a hematoma. I have not had one, but I have read here that for some it can take a few weeks or so depending on the person and situation.

You can do a Search and see what threads come up on it.

I hope someone who has had one will come along to give you some idea.

Hang in there

s
Unread 09-13-2006, 08:13 PM

I had a large hematoma along my incision, too. No fun at all.

Mine never did reabsorb on its own, and they had to surgically remove it after a year. However, most do resolve without medical intervention, and docs do normally take a wait-and-see approach. This is because the act of opening up the area (either to insert a needle or catheter-type device) just makes it all the more likely that you'll develop an infection, which would make your situation an emergency.

I know it's annoying, but there's really nothing you can do to speed up the resolution of the hematoma aside from avoiding abdominal exercise. If your body is going to absorb it, it will; if it isn't, it won't.

Hope this helps!
Unread 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM

jaeby

Sorry that you developed a hematoma.

Did you let your PS know about the hematoma? I would.

Best of luck with your surgery!!!. . .
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:06 AM

I had a large hematoma in my stomach after my surgery. I was in horrible pain and ended up infected. I did have to have my incision all opened and cleaned out. It was a terrible experience. My stomach in still real sensitive. I'm still recovering from all of it and is quite depresssing I had my hyst on August 16. I thought I'd be up and round but still down and out. Good luck to you. Make sure you watch your temperature so no infection gets in there.
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Hyster-Hematoma Sister

I had my surgery on August 24th as well and ended up with a hematoma that is now the size of a grapefruit. Like you, I am very frustrated. My hematoma is by the incision on my right side. My ob/gyn wanted it to take its own course, but I felt I wanted some more intervention. So, I just had a ultrasound done on Tuesday and about 170 cc's of fluid removed. I am feeling some relief, but the advanced radiologist said that it is going to take months for this to heal, because it usually does. I, too, was scheduled for Plastic Surgery in October and have now cancelled it indefinitely after rescheduling it once before. I, also, insisted that my doctor refer me to a general surgeon to look at it, because I have been told that a hematoma can cause granular tissue - basically an internal scar that can cause low-grade pain for the rest of my existence. Definitely, get a second opinion. OB/GYN's business is just that...they are not experts when it comes to something like this...usually some other doctor is. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM

PrettyAnxious,

I have an appointment with him tomorrow. I haven't told him yet, figured I'd let him look at it and make a decision based on what he sees, not what I tell him. I'm pretty unhappy with this situation at the moment and if I have to cancel the Plastic Surgery (again), I just don't know when it will be done...with work and money and holidays upcoming...it might have to wait until next August. If it does, I'll cry alot...this isn't what I had planned.

Everyone else,

Thank you all for the support and information (even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear!) Having some information to ask the right questions is better than having no information at all!
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:18 AM

I am glad you are seeing your dr tomorrow. I would be sure he knows everything about it, as having any kind of surgery puts one at some risk. You want your body to be at it's best in order to make it through surgery and recover nicely without complications post-op. I would ask the dr lot's of questions.

s
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM

jaeby

Glad you're seeing him tommorrow.
It will all work out. . .if it's meant to be it will be.

Let us know how you do.
Unread 09-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Haematoma

Hi

I have an infected haematoma which I have had for 14 weeks. Im on my fourth lot of antibiotics. (Two lots of two). I have a scan scheduled in 3 weeks. They will then decide what do to. I am in pain, feel sick and my tum is swollen and sore. Due to start next lot of antibiotics tomorrow which make you feel very ill. Boiling hot all the time. Im just glad I dont have MRSA and expect I will get better eventually. So will you.

Love to all

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway