HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abdominal pain & swelling at 6 weeks post-op Abdominal pain & swelling at 6 weeks post-op

Unread 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Abdominal pain & swelling at 6 weeks post-op

I am 6 weeks out on my post op after a laparoscopic hysterectomy. My dr released me after 4 weeks and told me I could do light workouts. Now that I am at 6 weeks I have tried going back to my normal workout but have experienced pain behind my belly button and feel swollen today. Has anyone else had this happen? I just want to know if I'm hurting anything!
Unread 09-13-2006, 04:53 PM

I sounds like you of over did it. I know I would have pain if I did to much. But you might just wasnt to call the dr and ask. It will always make you feel better talking to the dr.
Unread 09-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Hi beverylyc
After I was released and started trying to work out and get back to normal I found I had a lot of pain. My dr told me I wasn't going to hurt anything surgically but it definitely caused me pain to do certain things. I had to back up several times and start again at a slower pace or with less intensity.
I would suggest you keep working to pace yourself and find a level you can live with without causing pain. After being so sedate all those weeks it makes sense it will take some time to build back some strength. You use your abdominals more than you imagine and starting off slowly to get them strong again is one of the first things you need to do to be able to do your normal routine.
I wish you good success.
's, Rita
Unread 09-14-2006, 06:03 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't work out yesterday and plan to just walk today. I've been walking since the 2 weeks after my surgery and have had very little pain. I do step aerobics and kickboxing so I tried step and that seemed to be ok. I think the kickboxing is the mistake since you use your abs so much. So I guess I'll stick with step for a week or so. It's frustrating not having anyone to ask about this stuff, don't you think? I want to progress but I certainly don't want to hurt anything either. I heard that it's easy to get adhesions or if you work out too soon you get a pouch at your belly. Certainly don't want that!!!!!
Unread 09-14-2006, 08:31 AM

Have you seen theHysteritaville Forum . You might want to take a look. You can find others who are working out and compare notes.
I used to do kickboxing and loved it. It's a hard work out. You may find yourself needing to modify it for a while. Just making the movements smaller might help.
It's good you're being cautious and not pushing your body to do things it isn't ready for yet.
's,Rita
Unread 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM

I am 5 weeks post-op and just started my walking regimen again. I walked on Monday and Tuesday, about 1 mile each day. I did not walk fast but let me tell you by Wed I started to bleed lightly, have pain in the area of my ovaries (left is gone) and horrible swollen tummy. I suppose I over did it? I really want to get back into my walking regimen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.