4.5 months post TAH-LSO, Left "ovarian" remnant? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4.5 months post TAH-LSO, Left "ovarian" remnant? 4.5 months post TAH-LSO, Left "ovarian" remnant?

Unread 09-14-2006, 05:08 PM
4.5 months post TAH-LSO, Left "ovarian" remnant?

I am in a state of shock and panic right now and really need some information. I am four and one half months post total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of my LEFT ovary. I was just at my ob/gyn appt to see if what I felt on my left side was a hernia or something different. After abdominal and vaginal ultrasounds, she diagnosed a 4 cm x 2 cm x 3 cm cyst on my left pelvic sidewall. My prior surgery invovled cutting my left ovary off of my pelvic sidewall because it had adhered to that side.

She says it could be an ovarian remnant with endo on it. On the sono report it is black with a white, but not bright white, center. I asked if it could be a hematoma and she said the white would be whiter if it had calcified, and she didn't think that's what it looked like. They did a test to show that it had "no increased bloodflow" on the sonogram, so she says it does not appear to be cancerous. I asked her about different types of cancer but she still didn't think so.

She recommends going in with a gyn-oncologist to excise out the mass plus anything in my sidewall. She says they are used to excising further back in that area and she would prefer he do it. I am so upset that I'd have to go through surgery again to remove an ovary I've already had removed, but even more upset and scared about what else it could be.

Please, anyone with info on ovarian remnants please get back with me. I've never heard of this before and don't know if it is common or not. She says she's seen it before, but I forgot to ask her how often.

I'm scared, and I'm sorry for writing such a sappy plea for help. Turtledove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2006, 05:26 PM

(((Turtledove)))

I'm so sorry to hear about what was found on an ultrasound.

I have heard of women with endo having it come back after a hysterectomy.

I do understand your frustration.

I hope someone will have more information for you.

Best of luck to you. I hope everything works out well for you.
Unread 09-14-2006, 06:13 PM

Turtledove,
I'm also sorry about your situation. I would definitely get that taken care of. I know it's scary to think about surgery again, but not knowing what it is growing inside you and not knowing what else will come would be scarier.

Think on the bright side - everything will be ok. I have heard of the endo coming back, but my gyno told me that I didn't have to worry about it coming back again, because there was nothing left for it to grow on. I had a total hysterectomy on May 31st - uterus and both ovaries.

Hang in there and we'll be praying for you.

Curious Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2006, 07:06 PM

I would not hit the panic button if I were you. I had this ruled out as a problem following an RSO and have seen a number of posts here regarding it (you may want to do a search). Apparently, If any small part of the ovary is left behind, a cyst, endo or other types of benign growths can attach to it. Also, the remnant in and of itself can generate pain and discomfort. I have heard that gyn-oncologists often perform the surgeries for this because they are delicate and can be tricky. I share your dispair, however, at the prospect of having to have another surgery while you're still recovering from this one. I can identify with that awlful, sinking feeling and sense of disbelief. I had to have hernia surgery several months after my LAVH/LSO last year and it was rough from an emotional perspective. Best of luck to you!
Unread 09-14-2006, 07:14 PM

I am sorry it looks like the endo is still around, but that you also may have ORS -- ovarian renmant syndrome. We have other ladies her in the "Ovaries Only" forum who have had this occur. You can use the search tab at the upper, right of your screen to look for other threads discussing "ovarian renmant." And you will find some information in the Resource Database. You can also search for ORS (ovarian renmant syndrome.) Just a tiny piece of ovary left behind can act as an ovary.

Many best wishes to you and lots of s!
Unread 09-14-2006, 09:32 PM

CuriousMe,
Endo can grow on anything even after you have a total hyster. Sometimes it's hidden and they dont get it all. It can produce its own estorgen to grow. Alot of people are misinformed they think that if they have a total hyster that it will be all gone.There is no cure for it. I'm sorry your doctor misinformed you. I just found out I had it in May and Ive done alot of research on it and it's a horrible disease.
Just passin on some info.
Sherrie
Unread 09-15-2006, 01:29 PM

I hope there is someone out there that has been through this that I could chat with, but thank you all so much for your words of comfort. I need to hear good things right now. I'm still a little fragile from this news. I am trying to find out about Lupron as an alternative to surgery, but leaning towards having the surgery again to remove the "ovary" I thought was already gone.
Unread 10-13-2006, 07:19 PM

You can chat with me. I just found out I have a 6.5x3.5 cm teratoma on my "right" ovary. I had both ovaries removed plus a hysterectomy last year. Thought my problems were long gone.
Unread 10-16-2006, 05:46 PM

I can't believe that leaving ovaries (or part of ovaries) is so common. I have heard of it once or twice, but never imagined it could happen this often.

Starlight, what kind of symptoms did you have following your hyster when you discovered something was definitely wrong? I ask this because I have felt like something is definitely wrong for several weeks now, and like all of you, I thought my problems were over. I'm just curious what I need to ask the dr this time.

Turtledove, I'm sorry that you are having the problems again. I would definitely discuss this in depth with my dr, but I would probably lean toward the surgery also. Good luck with everything and may God bless you.

Curious Me
Unread 10-18-2006, 09:33 AM

This week exactly last year, I was in terrible pain on my left side. Trip to ER and CT scan showed a 10cm teratoma (dermoid cyst). Hyst. was recommended. I had my uterus, cervix and left ovary removed. Also, the dr. cut off some simple cysts on my right ovary. However, my doctor also removed my appendix, which was red and swollen, while performing the hyst.

It turned out to have a carcinoid in it. Carcinoids are rare, very slow growing tumors that can metastasize. So, I was scheduled for another surgery 6 weeks later just to see if it had. That surgery too out part of my large intestine and lots of lymph nodes. All was clear. Additionally, I asked that surgeon to go ahead and remove my right ovary. Didn't want to deal with future surgeries because something may grow on it.

So, because of the carcinoid, I go in for CT scans every 4 months or so, plus I get blood work done and urine tests. All has been completely clean since then. However, the most recent CT scan 2 weeks ago showed what looks like a dermoid cyst, exactly where my right ovary used to be.

Now, my surgery is tentatively scheduled for next Tuesday. The gyn has suggested I get an MRI done so he can see beforehand better what things look like in there. That's probably because I've been asking him if he thinks my surgery will be laparoscopic or open. He said if I have too much scar tissue, or if he sees anything unusual, it will be open.

But the MRI will give him the ability to give me a better idea before the surgery.

But I have no pain whatsoever. Just a followup CT scan that showed it. I'm grateful it has been caught before he grew to the size of the last one and possibly leaked. That's what happened to me when I went to the ER. My goodness that pain was excrutiating!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register