HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Suspension/Hysterectomy Bladder Suspension/Hysterectomy

Unread 09-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Bladder Suspension/Hysterectomy

Has anyone had the bladder suspension and hysterectomy done at the same time? I'm curious as to the difference in recovery time. Thanks!
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM

PattyAnne,
I had both done at the same time and also an anterior repair (also known as cystocele repair). The main difference I was told were the lifting restrictions of 12 weeks instead of 6 weeks and nothing heavier than a gallon of milk (about 8 lbs.) for that time period. No intercourse during that time period either but that was mainly because I had additional complications. I believe the usual for that is 6 weeks. Be sure you ask your doctor specifically what s/he recommends. It can vary from doctor to doctor. Some are a little more conservative in these matters. Sending a and hoping all goes well for you.....
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I must admit that I am more nervous about the bladder suspension than the hysterectomy.
Unread 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM

I am having the same surgeries Nov. 9. I'm very nervous for several reasons, but especially about not being able to lift anything for awhile. I have a 1 yr baby girl and she weighs 24 lbs! I just don't know how I'm going to get her into her crib, carseat, high chair etc.

As far as the surgery, I'm wondering if the overall recovery time is longer for us than for someone who just has the bladder repair or hysto seperately?

I'm just basically very worried all together!

I would love to hear what responses you get to your question.

Thanks and I'll be thinking of you!!
Unread 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM

I am one week out from hyster, bladder, and A/P repair and the only thing causing me any real pain or difficulty is the A/P repair. The sling seems to be very easy other than getting used to a different feeling when you pee.....don't know how to explain it but you know the anatomy has been altered a bit so different nerves and such come into play. I almost get that feeling when I go of having waited to long and really have to force myself to relax. You will have two more small incisions near the pelvic bone for the sling that really are no big deal at all. Best of luck!
Unread 09-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Meaniejr,
I would have to imagine that the recovery time will at last be a little longer for us having both surgeries at once. I meet with both the urologist and the GYN the week before my surgery, so hopefully I will find out more. I'm hoping that they can do the hyst. lap and not have to go through my abdomen. I had that incision from a surgery for endometriosis about twenty years ago, and it was tough enough in my early twenties, let alone in my 40's. Good luck with your recovery with a baby at home. My boys are eleven, so hopefully they will be able to muddle through without me for a little while. As the date gets closer, I'm getting more and more nervous.
mskayjay,
Did you go home with a cath? If so, for how long? For some reason I'm really nervous about that part..... How long will you be off work (assuming you work outside of the home). The Dr's office told me at least 4 weeks with the hysto and bladder, longer if they can't do the hysto via lap....
Unread 09-26-2006, 03:20 PM

I had my TAH/BSO/TOT bladder sling and enterocele reduction done at the same time. My first restrictions was no lifting anything over 10 pounds and no sex for 6 weeks. Now I have a lifting restriction of nothing over 25 pounds for 6 months.

I am still sore, have nerve pain, but I am no longer leaking! YEAH
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:42 AM

NoniOhio,
Thank you for your reply. I'm feeling much better after reading all of these posts.
PattyAnne04
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:56 AM

NoniOhio,
I'm relatively new here, you mentioned a TOT bladder suspension? What is that? I know that I am having a bladder suspension, but I'm not sure what type. We are hoping for a BSO/LAVH, but that will depend on the amount of scar tissue (from previous surgeries) and the size of the uterious and fibroids. Fingers crossed though - I would rather not go through the recovery from a TAH, I remember that incision well from a previous surgery from endo. and my prayers are with you!
PattyAnne04
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM

Meaniejr,
Are you scheduled to see your Dr(s) again before your surgery? I see the Uriologist the Thursday before and the GYN the Friday before. I haven't asked many questions, and now I'm starting to wonder if I should have.... I just received my paperwork back from the Dr for my leave and it says 6 weeks...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.