Back to work and bleeding questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work and bleeding questions Back to work and bleeding questions

Unread 09-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Back to work and bleeding questions

I don't have a date yet for surgery, but I'm trying to be prepared for when I see the surgeon in Jan.

I've read a few posts about when sisters are going back to work, but those all seem to be sisters with office jobs. My 'day job' is an instructor at puppy training classes. Can any one tell me how long I'm likely to be out of action for - I need to find a replacement or cancel the classes altogether.

Also I have a bleeding disorder similar to haemophilia (Von Willebrands Disease) where my blood deosn't clot properly. Anyone had a hyst. with this problem? Do I need to be prepared for a blood transfusion?

Thank goodness I only see the surgeon again in 3 months - I'm chinging my mind daily about whether to have just the BSO or a full hyst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM

Hi,

I was out 6 weeks and had a desk job, but felt better at 8 weeks. I think 8 weeks for some may be in order depending on how active your job is.

Here is a link to an article in Post-op articles:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_195531.htm

You might do a Search on blood transfusions and see if you can find threads on it, as I think there have been past threads about blood transfusions.

I would make a list of questions to ask my dr before going into surgery.

We have a good Pre-op and Post-op articles (Articles) to the left of the page in our Index.

I hope this helps some.

s
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:31 AM

Wow, you have a ways to go, huh? Waiting really is the hardest part but particularly if you aren't sure what kind of surgery to have. Coming up with a list of questions is an excellent idea and this site offers some suggestions on what to ask. I actually printed it out and took it to my docs. He laughed but was happy to answer ALL of them. I don't know about you but there are so many unknowns when having surgery that trying to regain some sense of control is important. Your fellow sistahs are great too. I don't know what I would have done without this site. Best of luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2006, 09:48 PM

Hi, I justed wanted to say that your gyn and family doc needs to work together about your blood problems. Please make sure that the doctor you see for this problem speaks to your gyn on a good protocol for your situation escpeciallly for surgery. Why do you need a hyster or Bso? Talk it out with both your docs. Best wishes, Blinky
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:15 AM

Hi! I had bloodwork done to check for von Willebrand's & get results next week. I had a breast excision in July that resulted in a large hematoma that's still slowly going away. Fortunately, my family dr referred me to a hematologist to check this out for my upcoming hyster due to pelvic prolapse, & he thinks that's what it could be, also because of heavy nosebleeds when I was in HS & the heavy periods I had for about 10 years. I'm getting in contact with the blood donor program at the hospital & plan to donate, so matter what the results. I can let you know what happens as I follow through with this....the uncertainty is really unsettling. I've known about my hyster since the beginning of July. This is my 1st post - everything I do is bringing me closer to my date. Yikes!
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:49 AM

Kkam
I'm not sure from your post whether you intend donating blood for your own use at your hyst or in general, but do be aware that with Von Willebrands if you donate blood too frequently you can become anaemic. If the tests do show that you have Von Willebrands, ask if there is time to do a test to see if you can take DDAVP - this is a drug that helps the blood to clot and would probably help to prevent another hematoma after your hyst. Took about a week to set mine up and a full day of testing.
Unread 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Hi Scottiegal,
I can't help you with your heamophilia problem but as far as going back to work...while each doctor seems to be different in this aspect of recovery, I can tell you that I went back to work doing home daycare after 7 weeks. It was rough for a couple of weeks but it was ok.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM

Scottiegal
Thanks for the info. I want to donate for my hyster, but am waiting on the test results for von Willebrands that I should get on Mon. How has it affected you & how did you find out? Good luck with whatever you decide to do surgery-wise.
Unread 10-13-2006, 06:13 AM

Kkam
I actually found out that I had vWD when a neurologist thought that I'd had a mini-stroke (little fleck on an MRI that the MRI tech said was NOT due to a stroke!!!) Needless to say when my bleeding time was 4 times longer than average they decided to test for lack of clotting instead of excess clotting!

I have a very mild case and apart from the fact that I am often covered in bruises it hasn't affected me much at all. For serious surgery I have taken DDVAP, but obviously couldn't for a c-section and my gynae then said I bled less than her *normal* patients. That being said I bruised very badly internally following an ex. lap. earlier this year and the incision in my belly button took forever to heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register