HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When does the first bowel movement come? When does the first bowel movement come?

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
When does the first bowel movement come?

Hi Sisters,

When do you have your first bowel movement? I had my last one the morning I went to the hospital..that was Monday, and other than a lot of intestinal gas, which nearly earlier blew the cat away from my side , I have not pooed yet. I did eat some dried prunes this morning. My bladder is working great...now I wait for the bowels.. IS this going to hurt????? I'm scared for my first poo

Wow, never thought I'd be asking people online about pooing LOL.

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:35 AM

I had not had a bm for four days and nothing was helping me. Not Ducolax, not prune juice, not Metamucil....nothing. So, I had to resort to an enema. I actually had to use six of them during a three week period. Everything is back to normal now.

Did it hurt? Not really...I think having to go andnot being able to was a lot more painful than the actual act!
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM

My doc told me I should have a BM at day 4, and thank God it happened! I used stool softeners daily, water, plum start, walking. He told me to use suppositiories to help things along, which worked well, but was still very painful.
Painful bm's went away at 4 weeks for me. But everyone is different because we all had different things done, and some have more complications than others. take care
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM

COLACE is magic!!! I took this right when I got home from the hospital & was pooing within an hour or so. Pha-zyme is magic for the gas, although it sounds like there's no trouble there for you.

(I was released 48 hours post op, no pooing in castle.)
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Surgery on a Monday. First BM on Friday morning. I was a little scaried too....but "everything came out fine"

I took the stool softeners they gave me in the hospital for about a week....
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:43 AM

I have read here that Milk of Magnesia works really well.

Good luck ~Anju
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Had my surgery on friday and had an enema induced BM on Sat. afternoon. Had a regular one on Monday which wasn't much to it and a really good one yesterday that hurt like crazy.

I have the urge today but I'm not sure if it is just pressure or the real thing.
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM

Mine took about 5 days... I had to take Milk of Mag to help it all move out. For me the stool softners were just not enough.
Do what you have to do to help it come out easy because that is the worst pain I had.
Prune juice is good too.!
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM

I bought before my surgery, colace, MOM, and gas x.......so I am prepared. I think I will start the colace though. It can't hurt to soften things in there. I did eat some dried prunes this morning. I am a very regular person, so I don't want to over do it with bm meds and get diarreah..yikes now there is some fun lol

Thanks sister.

Hugs
Back to napping now
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM

SisterAngel
Hi again! Amazing we are talking about poop!
I had mine the 5th day. My DR told me to expect it by day 4-5. It was not that bad either. I was nervous too but the worry was the worst part again!
I did take stool softeners b/c I was on pain meds round the clock the first week. Pain meds can constipate. Beware. (I got constipated by wk 2)
Drink lots of water. The prunes are a great idea. I didn't eat much the first week so I felt the 5th day was about right.
Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.