HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Leaking After Hysterectomy Leaking After Hysterectomy

Unread 09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Unhappy - Leaking After Hysterectomy Leaking After Hysterectomy

Times New Roman1Medium Turquoise

I had a total hysterectomy 6 wks. ago. I am healing very well and feeling good except... two days after the operation I began to leak urine and am still using a pad. I am 73 years young.

( I had a bladder lift in 1999 and had no problems. Although it took a few months for total dryness to occur.) Has anyone else experienced this after total hysterectomy??
Unread 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
pallanza

Hi
I had a bladder sling put in with my VAH. My advice
call the dr.

best to you

Harley
Unread 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Leaking After Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley NY
Hi
I had a bladder sling put in with my VAH. My advice
call the dr.

best to you

Harley
My Dr. gave me meds for overactive bladder. I took them for a week but stopped. Dry mouth and a terrible taste. He suggested a patch. I'm going to give it a little more time. Wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. Thanks.
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Hi pallanza,
i had this problem immediately after they removed the cath from my surgery. I've never had bladder issues in the past. I was diagnosed with a vasciovaginal fistula. For me this will require another surgery to repair the hole in the bladder. Check in with your Dr.!
suzy
Unread 10-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Hi Suzy - Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear of your problem with the fistula. I have spoken to my Dr. about my leaking and he mentioned using a patch since I could not tolerate the pills he prescribed for overactive bladder - I had a terrible taste and a very dry mouth. However, since posting, I am doing better. I did have a bladder lift back in 1999 and had a leaking problem for a while. But that cleared up and had no problems until after my hysterectomy. Just wanted to let you know that after my bladder lift I had a catheter in my bladder for about a week after I came home (which I was not told about before the operation and was honkerblonked at not being told), but when it was removed he said the bladder will heal itself. Ask your Dr. about this. Good luck.
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Angry - Leaking After Hysterectomy Leaking After Hysterectomy

I did not have (or think I had) bladder problems before my tah, but had cystocele repair (I think, anyways) done at the time of surg. Now, while i don't feel like I have leakage, it smells like I do. But I'm also not sure if it's vaginal discharge with a funky smell.

Gotta love this part of it all, huh?

anyone with similar? I heard that with the healing insides, there is a vag odor. It's not an infected odor, just kinda skunky. (sorry, gross & embarassed)

~just frustrated~
Unread 10-08-2006, 10:59 PM

flutterbye67 I think what you are smelling is due to the internal stitches healing which is normal, it should disappear soon.

Take care
Unread 10-10-2006, 01:59 AM

I take Enablex for my overactive bladder. You might want to try that. I don't have a dry mouth or a bad taste with it but even if I did it is a small price to pay. I also have been diagnosed with IC, urgency and possibly urge incontinence and even though the tests don't show it I have some stress incontinence all at the age of 46. My doctor recenly put me on Premarin cream in hopes of avoiding surgery and said my bladder hasn't really dropped and is being supported just fine. He said the cream should help plump up the muscles in that area and prevent any leakage and it seems to be helping some.

I have other health problems than the ones I have mentioned and some days it seems like I am older. LOL.

I certainly don't want to lose function of my bladder but at the same time I want to avoid surgery right now if at all possible.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.