HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
bladder tear

Please, if anyone could help me I would be very greatful. I had my vaginal hysterectomy on monday and had to stay in the hospital for 3 nights. The doctor said she accidently tore my bladder and I will need to wear my cathater until tuesday of next week. I was released from the hospital yesterday and today is friday. Can anyone tell me how normal this is? I am so confused and I am worried to the extreme.
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
bladder tear

((((((((((darcatia)))))))))))

Soooooo sorry that you are going through this. I am not sure about the healing although I like to believe it will.
~Anju
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
bladder tear

My dr. told me that it was a possibility of a bladder tear. That was part of the paper work that I signed when I had my surgery stating that complications could happen. It is something that they can't really control until they are in there. Sorry this happened.

I also came home with a cathedar. It is stinky!!! Thankfull I was able to have my dh take mine out quicker than orignally planned.

If there is scar tissue on your bladder/uterus it makes it higher chance of having bladder problems.

Take Care!!!

Gala
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
bladder tear

Yes, I prolly can't do anything legally about this. I am just freaked out right now and wonder how normal this is and if anyone else has gone thru this and how they healed? Thanks for the well wishes!
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:41 PM
bladder tear

darcatia
So sorry that happened to you.

A nurse friend of mine (I'm a RN) had that happened and she is fine today. Hope that helps you feel better. Ask your DR if you should be seen by a urologist and try to see a female urologist, if you can.

It is a complication of surgery and suing will only be painful for you. DR's do not do it intentionally or are negligent. . .hopefully.
I also have a friend (another nurse) who had her bowel knicked and was soooo very sick and she, too, is fine today. Felt so bad for her. . . .

Many blessings and pray you will heal quickly.
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:58 PM
bladder tear

I'm sorry you are going through this. I had the same thing happen. It's something that is not all that uncommon and a possible complication of the surgery. I was sewn up by a uro in surgery, came home with a cath for 6 days. I healed just fine. I had a follow up with the uro and that was that. You may have some frequency issues, but they do go away. I also was told to make sure that I did not let my bladder get too full for about a month, just to make sure that the repair held.

Good luck to you. I hope that you heal quickly!
Unread 09-29-2006, 03:21 PM
bladder tear

I, too, had a nicked bladder and came home with a catheter. A few days after surgery, I needed a nother surgery to repair a ureter as well. So, I had a stent too. I kept my catheter for 4 weeks and the stent came out around 5-6 weeks. I think the nicked bladder is quite common during this surgery. I know that my doc told me this could happen. I healed up very well, and no problems with the bladder now. Good luck and take care of yourself.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM
bladder tear

Darcatia, I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I did ask my doc during pre-op about the frequency of injuries to the bladder. He was very upfront and said they do occur and suggested I continue with my due diligence to learn all I could (he knew about this helpful site!). Anyhow, yes, women do completely recover. It just takes patience, medical help, and more patience.

My doc did tell me that while I had no injuries to my bladder that adhesions from the uterus to the bladder (which are quite common in those of us going through hysterectomies) made it more likely that something would occur. My pictures of my uterus clearly show lots of areas where he had to cut it away from something. So I really do appreciate the skill our docs have to have!

I'm not up to sharing my pics yet. They are soooo gnarly!

Best wishes ~
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:16 PM
bladder tear

I just had a TVH on the 8'th, had the same thing happen. Had my cath for a week, and here I am 3 weeks post op and feeling OK. I had some bladder spasms for the first week after it was removed, but I would be really hard pressed at the moment to say yes, I had a bladder tear. I felt the same way you do, was so mad, my doc admitted it was his finger that caused the hole! But it was recognized while I was still on the table, he repaired it ran the dye (did you have smurfy pee?) and had a urologist come down to double check everything. just look on the bright side, no middle of the night trips to pee, ever wonder what it's like to be able to pee standing up? Hope you feel better very soon and heal even quicker!
Jen
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
bladder tear

ohh i am so sorry, when i had my surgery he accidentally cut my bladder while trying to remove adhesions. I had to wear a catheter for 11 days. your bladder will heal it just takes time. things like this happen with surgery, just hang in there (((hugs)))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.