HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Premarin for stress incontinence... Premarin for stress incontinence...

Unread 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Premarin for stress incontinence...

My doctor has put me on the Premarin cream to try to help with the leakage I sometimes get when I sneeze. Has anybody else gone this route and did it help?
Unread 10-01-2006, 01:35 PM

Anybody??
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:26 PM

My doctor felt this was the route to go with me too. I took his advice and it worked very well. There is also a couple of bio-identical vaginal estrogens you might want to ask about. I started off using Premarin and then went to a tab called Vagifem. I tend to need the coverage the cream provides so now I use Estrace cream. The Hormone Jungle has a great article called Vaginal Dryness that might be of some help.

I hope you have as much success with estrogen cream as I have had. It has made my life a lot drier
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Smilinfaces,

I just hopped over to Bladder Matters from the Hormone Jungle to see what folks are writing because I too suffer from bladder incontinence, leaking with stress and uretrhal burning since my hysterectomy. I am still trying to find balance with this. I have tried the Femring and Estring, both of which work great for vaginal dryness and urethral burning, but had to stop both because of an allergic reaction.

I have also been on the Vivelle Patch, Climara, Estradiol pills and EstroGel. From my own experience, I can tell you I thought Vivelle Dot worked the best for stress incontinence along with Vagifem 3xs per week. I developed a severe allergic reaction to the patch so I had to stop using it but it sure helped me with leakage. I don't know if you are taking any kind of systemic estrogen. I find it helps, but I am allergic to most of them so for now I am relying on Vagifem 3-4 times per week.

For systemic relieve, Femring (.05) stopped my leakage in just two days. It was a miracle. Unfortunately, it was too rough on my colon so I had to give it up. I have used Estrace cream but it did not work well for me. The Vagifem product was less irritating and did not cause me to get yeast the way the cream did.

Vagifem is wonderful to help keep the urethra and vaginal tissue healthy, which will help with leaking and burning. I have noticed in the Hormone Jungle section many women comment on how much they love a compounded formula called estriol cream, that seems to help a lot of women. I have also seen very positive comments regarding both Premarin and Estrace creams. I think if one does not work for you, there will be other options for you to try.

Also, you may want to post your question on the Hormone Jungle. I think you will get more responses and it may help you. I sure hope you feel better. There is also a good link to information regarding vaginal dryness which talks about how to help with leaking. I think it is in the Articles section.

Hang in there, it will get better.
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Thanks ladies. I am on the Vivelle dot and Premarin right now and will wait and see how that goes. I have been on Climara since the day before my surgery. Along with this problem I also have IC.
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM

I too have stress incontinence. I'm terrified by the idea of the sling surgery. I'm 36 and I just can't image this thing lasting a couple of decades! My doctor has not offered the premarin to me. I'd love to know how it works out. Seems much easier than surgery, almost too good to be true.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 10-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Well they claim my cystometrogram didn't show any stress incontinence but I know what happens when I sneeze etc. I've had one episode since I was put on the cream but I still feel the need to clamp my legs shut for fear of leakage at times.
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:42 AM

i was put on Premarin for hormones after my oopherectomy 7 weeks ago. I have been battling bladder leakage since before my hysterectomy a year ago. so far the premarin hasnt seemed to do anything for me but i have been under the care of a urologist and had been taking detrol la until i plateau'd on it. now i am on ditropan. have not been on that long enuff to give opinion on it but the detrol helped.. it just takes time to get the bladder into shape is all i hear.lol
Unread 10-06-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm also on Enablex and Elmiron but I don't think any of those help with stress incontinence. He says I have "urgency" which is probably true and I do think the Elmiron has helped with that. I hate all these problems on top of health problems I already have. LOL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.