HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what is a ductectomy? what is a ductectomy?

Unread 10-06-2006, 05:38 AM
what is a ductectomy?

just wondering what a ductectomy is ? my SIL called yesterday with sad news that her DS has to have a ductectomy?? she wasn't to sure what it was and i figured i would come here to you knowlegable ladies
what is it does it mean she has cancer??? she said my DS has cancer and has to have a ductectomy..
Unread 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
what is a ductectomy?

Hi A ductectomy is a minor surgery in which a single duct is removed from the breast. Usually it's done in the case of a ductal papilloma -- most of which are benign, but which can occasionally be malignant. It can also be done if there is discharge from the breast, to try to identify what is causing it, if it's clear which duct it's coming from.

I had a ductal papilloma a year ago -- the only symptom was bleeding from the nipple on one occasion, and the surgeon who's done both of my lumpectomies told me that if it never bleeds again, we will assume it's benign, but if it happens again, we'll do a ductectomy and biopsy it to be sure.

The surgery involves a very small incision, often made in the areola where it won't show, and removal of very little tissue. The recovery is quite easy, and results of any biopsy should be available within a few days.

Has there been a needle biopsy already, or are they just assuming it's cancer? I would think, if they were expecting a ductal carcinoma (either DCIS or invasive ductal carcinoma), they would be doing a lumpectomy and not a ductectomy; that's what leads me to suspect that they really don't know it's cancer at this point. Unfortunately, since we don't have more information, we can't speculate any further.

I wouldn't panic just yet... it might turn out that everything is fine, even though it probably seems like a major crisis right now.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:35 PM
what is a ductectomy?

yeah my sil said that her nipple has a discharge? does that increase her chances for cancer??
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
what is a ductectomy?

Not really. Most nipple discharges are benign, and can be due to lots of things - infection, hormones, benign papillomas among other possibilities. Here is a link about nipple discharges and what they can mean:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=jump&lid=1845

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.