HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long after surgery do menopause symptoms appear? How long after surgery do menopause symptoms appear?

Unread 10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
How long after surgery do menopause symptoms appear?

I had my last ovary removed almost two weeks ago. My doctor prescribed the generic estradiol patch. After posting some questions here I decided I'd rather go with Vivelle Dot (the generic patch is enormous!), but figured I'd at least try the generic until my post-op appointment, which is scheduled for Tuesday.

I didn't put the first patch on until six days after surgery. I was having some side effects from the pain meds and didn't want to add another med to the mix and then not know what med was causing what. I had no menopausal symptoms the first six days. Since putting the patch on, I feel pretty good. I've had two instances where my face felt a bit warm, but other than that I've had no hormonal symptoms whatsoever.

Does this mean this dosage of Estradiol is working for me, or is it more likely that my body stored up enough estrogen that it hasn't yet realized my ovary is no longer there producing estrogen? I'd like to believe the Estradiol is working for me (and I'm thrilled to say there have been no adverse side effects), but don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched if you know what I mean.

Just curious how long it takes for the body to run through its estrogen stores and how long after surgery you ladies noticed menopausal symptoms. I'm 42 and was still ovulating regularly before my surgery.

Many thanks.
Unread 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi

I had hot flashes for about two days after surgery but attributed those to the initial changes in my body. It took about 7mos until I felt regular symptoms, however I kept my ovaires, so it could have been alot sooner if I hadn't... Since I have had to tweak my hrt several times to help recurring symtoms..
Unread 10-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Hi Susan It's hard to say... I had symptoms as soon as I woke up after my ovaries were removed, but some ladies say it has taken them several weeks before they started having symptoms. A couple of variables that might affect how long it takes is how close you were to natural menopause (I was perimenopausal) and your weight, because we can store estrogen in abdominal fat cells.

I hope the fact that you're feeling so good now is a sign that things are going to go well for you.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Susan,
I'm glad that you're doing so well. Everyone is different, you may not have any symptoms. I had my tah/bso at the age of 36 and the hot flashes started fairly soon afterwards, even though I was started on hrt immediately after surgery.

I would suggest that you start keeping a journal of how you're doing, be sure and include what you're using for hrt and when you're applying the patch. If symptoms do start, this may give you and your doctor a better idea of what is going on and if things are getting better or worse over time.
Unread 10-08-2006, 01:10 PM

My symptoms of lack of estrogen really began in earnest about 6-8 weeks after my LAVH.

isewquilts
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:59 AM

Susan,

Like surferbabe, my symptoms began immdiately following surgery. I was perimenopausal and extremely lean going into TAH.

Maxine
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM

I was 38, in normal weight range, not thin, not heavy, and woke up with hot flashes immediately. I had to go without estrogen for the first three months but took a progestin and it did help some with the hot flashes but I still had them. Aside from the immediate hot flashes, I didn't have any other menopause symptoms to speak of until I got to about 6-9 months postop.
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM

I'm 33 and had a complete hysterectomy. I started having night sweats the night of my surgery. At first I thought it was the demerol. Then I started having hot flashes and night sweats on the second night. The Dr. started me on premarin 24 hrs after the surgery but it wore off quickly.

I was given an injection of delestrogen and all that stopped.
Unread 10-14-2006, 11:49 PM

My hot flashes started immediately after surgery. I was perimenopausal and normal weight going into my TAH-BSO.
Caroline

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.