HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Burning during sex Burning during sex

Unread 10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Burning during sex

Has been 7 months since TAH, can't use estrogen due to CA, sex is awful, burns even with loads of lubricant. Any one have any suggestions?
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Burning during sex

Hi lincolnlog!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this distressing symptom. What does "CA" mean?
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Burning during sex

Hi Lincolnlog,
I have the same issue. I had surgery 3/10, waited 7 weeks for intercourse, had severe pain and burning after that first time which sent me on a trip to the ER. I have worked through most of the issues, but I still experience some pain on insertion. I also experience buring when my BF ejaculates. Very odd. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough that I asked the doc about it. She didn't have any answers about the burning. I use lot of lubricant and we always go slow at first until I stretch out a bit. I have good orgasms still even though I am not on HRT. How often are you having sex? Does it happen every time? I know other women have mentioned vaginal dilation which might be helpful. Other than that, maybe just going slowly to stretch the vagina, or try different positions until you find one that makes insertion easier. I sometimes put my legs together and that seems to help, too. Hope things get better for you.
Jennifer
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Burning during sex

lincolnlog

I had to talk to my gyn about vaginal dryness and irritation. I don't use HRT due to cancer but still have to deal with dry tissues that get irritated during intercourse. I use OTC RePlens to help restore moisture to my vaginal tissues - it is a longer lasting moisturiser rather than just using lubrication for intercourse. It was recommended by my gyn, as I'm not ready to try a hormonal vaginal application as this time. It takes a few applications to start being effective, but I find that regular use has virtually eliminated that burning sensation during and after intercourse. I still use KY before intercourse.

Best wishes and I hope you find a solution that works for you soon s...........Wendy
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Burning during sex

Hey Spinflyer ~ You say this is OTC RePlens? Do all pharmacies have it? I am guessing it is more durable (bad word probably) than the typical stuff on the shelf. You mentioned using regularly, does this mean you apply it daily? Sorry if it's TMI but just wanted/needed to better understand the product.

Thanks !
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Burning during sex

I buy my supply at WalMart in the pharmacy section. The instructions say that each application lasts about 3 days. As I've been using it regularly, I can now last up to about 6 days without a reapply. It can be a little messy so I insert at night. Again, as I've been using it regularly, my tissues seem to absorb the cream better over time. The instructions are quite clear on and in the package for use.

Best wishes and s........Wendy
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Burning during sex

I've been told HRT is controversial. but my oncologist will prescribe it if he feels it's necessary. It's interesting to hear that people are still avoiding it following cancer, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. However I did read some research where it is suggested that HRT [b]reduces[/B] the risk of recurrence, which is another slant on it. My night sweats and hot flushes are probably manageable but I worry about long term health, eg osteoporosis. That said, my mother had a surgical menopause at 54, and had HRT for 7 years afterwards, and she still developed osteoporosis. Suppose the statistics are fine, but in the end it's down to luck, and some of that's bad luck.
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Burning during sex

Hey Wendy ~ just one more question... at WalMart in pharmacy section... on shelf or do I need to ask for it by name at the counter? And is there a discount if you buy it by the case ?
Unread 10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
A Big Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your replys and a big !!
You can always count on the Sisters for help.
The CA is cancer, and that is why I can't be on HRT. I really like the Replens idea and am going to give it a try. My DH will be thrilled as he thinks I have given up.
Will reply in a few weeks to let everyone know if it worked and put out the fire !!!
Thanks Again,
Lincolnlog
Unread 10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Burning during sex

It's on the shelf and I can never remember from one visit to the next where to find it! White box, purply printing, a water lily.......I like the discount idea

Best of luck to you all

s.........Wendy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.