HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Questions about rectocele repair surgery Questions about rectocele repair surgery

Unread 10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Rectocele Repair surgery coming up - have questions

Hello everyone! I am facing rectocele repair (and not sure what else yet - am seeing urogyn - after seeing my ob/gyn - at end of October). Could you please let me know if you have had this repair and how things went. I am 52, overweight (by about 40 lbs. and trying to lose some before my surgery). I have a stage 3 rectocele, and am having problems emptying my stool (lovely isn't it). I am scared to death about this surgery - especially with the 25% that isn't successful, and the recurrent prolapses. Many thanks women!
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Questions about rectocele repair surgery

Do you know if you are having a hysterectomy yet? I didn't have any repairs done so I don't have any personal experiences to share with you but there are a lot of women here who have been through it and hopefully, they will stop by soon.

Here are a couple of current discussions about rectocele repair:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ctocele+repair

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ctocele+repair

s, Deb
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:01 AM

Crossfire(Deb): Thank you for the reply and for the other URLs - I did take a look at them - they were extremely helpful! I don't know yet about what additional work I will need - I see my urogyn on 10/31. I went to my ob/gyn, and he said that I only needed to have the rectocele repair done, that my bladder was holding well, and my urethra was only slightly tilted (not 30 degrees worth - which usually warrants additional repairs from what I understand). However, he did not want to do any defacogrophy (sp?) or urodynamics on me, and this sort of scared me because I know it is better to ID and take care of all defects at the same time - to not only get the surgeries over with, but also so that the pressure relieved by one repair does not herniate another site. So, I am off to a well-respected major teaching hospital in my area (thank God I have one to go to) to see a well-renowned urogyn...which I know may or may not mean a lot - ha! Anyway, thanks for listening Deb - it feels good to get some of this off my chest!

JLM52
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:58 AM

I will be having cystocele/rectocele surgery on October 23rd.

I do know that i will spend at least 1 night in the hospital.
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM

Tired X4: Thank you for replying. I hope your surgery goes well! Will you please let me know how you are doing? Do you mind me asking...have you had any surgery before this one? Do you know which surgery you are having for your cystocele/rectocele? Are you having any grafts? If so, what type? Have you had an BM issues with your rectocele? Many thanks, and my best to you for October 23rd!
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:33 AM

I had a TVH and rectocele repair on 9/15. I didn't have any BM problems though.

I feel fine. It was scary waiting for the first BM, surg on Friday, BM on Monday - but it was OK! I've never had surgery before and am also about 40 lbs overweight. I imagine that contributed to the rectocele and prolapse.

I'm going to the doc at 5 weeks to see how everything looks.
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:39 AM

Not-2-Brave: Many thanks for your reply. I am so glad to hear that some women are having successful surgeries! Continue with your outstanding recovery.

I am scared to death, but know that it is the right thing to do.
Do you mind if I ask what stage your rectocele prolapse was in - mine is a Stage 3. Did you have a graft done - if so, what type? I am also 52 and post-menopausal - how about you? Again, many, many thanks and continue to feel well!!!
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Yes, I do have problems with the rectocele. I have problems with constipation and alot of pressure. No, I have not had this surgery before. My doctor said it is from childbirth.

My pre-op appointment is on October 20th. I know my doctor plans on using some type of mesh to hold the repair better and longer. I will ask him what type of mesh during my appointment.

I know some women have had problems with mesh erosion, but my doctor said it is a small chance.

But at this point I think I am ready to take that chance because I am tired of the pressure, back pain, conspitation, urine leakage, and sexual intercourse is uncomfortable.
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Tired X4: Thanks again for your reply. My OB/gyn also said mine was due to traumatic childbirth - I only had one daughter, but had a terrible time delivering her (broke every blood vessel in my face and eyes because I was pushing incorrectly - must not have paid attention during my Lamaze class too well - ha!). I also had a forceps delivery.

I've also heard the mesh erosion problem is very small, but I know they can use cadaveric material also, but make sure they know where this material is coming from - I have heard about infections with this also.

I am 52 and post-menopausal, so I know I won't be healing as quickly as other women, and may also need to take some HRT/ERT (which I am not looking forward too). Best wishes on your pre-op appt. and surgery. If you feel well enough, please let us know how you are doing!
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:09 PM

JLM52

I'm 48 and premenopausal (at least I was before the Lupron in February). I had really heavy periods for about 4 years, prolapse, and rectocele with a small cystocele. The urodynamics supported leaving the cyst. The doc said fixing the recto (stage 2 with no symptoms) would provide more structure and help the cyst. I was pretty clear on not wanting mesh. He said the procedure would be done by opening up the vaginal wall at the rear side, sewing up herniated tissue, and then closing up by folding some of the vaginal wall onto itself creating a better firmer seam! He also mentioned that it was pretty roomy in there. How nice. I have four kids and the last delivery was rough.

I'm sure he told me what the procedure is called, but I can't remember. It sounds like I was sewn up like a tear in a pant leg.

I'm going to see him next week for the 5 week check.

I'll keep looking on the net for the name. Questions? Just ask :-)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.