HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What does a modern days 50 yo look like? What does a modern days 50 yo look like?

Unread 10-15-2006, 12:08 PM
What does a modern days 50 yo look like?

This morning, I was looking in the mirror and surprised myself remembering that I turned 50 in September. I just don't remember 50 yo looking this young when I was younger. Mind you, back then (in my teens and early 20's), 30 yo looked pretty old

So, these days, what does a 50 yo really look like? And feel like?

In some ways, I feel better than I ever had. I certainly am more active than I was in my 30's and early 40's. I still love to listen to the radio and the music my kids listen to doesn't sound loud or alien to me. And I love fashion as much as I always have: those little grandma dresses are not for I also still work and have no intention of retiring soon

On the down side, I am currently in peri-menopause and thus have a very hard time with my internal thermomether. I've always had insomnia, but it's now worse than it's ever been. And I do have aches and pains that I didn't have when I was younger.
Unread 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Last night I got all dressed up to attend a charity event and thought I looked pretty darned good for over 50! I got on the dance floor and it was a real blast... I feel a whole lot better than I have in many years.
Unread 10-16-2006, 06:32 PM

This 51 year old takes her dog for a walk every morning (sometimes up to 3 miles) and then head to the gym.....where I do two classes in a row (step-aerobics followed by weight-lifting, or aerobics followed by weight-lifting) 3 days a week, and 3 other days of the week I do one class (aerobics or weights, depending on the day). I'm in better shape than I ever was in my teens or 20's or even 30's. I feel stronger and healthier and more alive and definitely more confident than I did when I was younger. Don't give a hoot as to what anyone else thinks anymore. Have many outside interests and spend some time each week doing volunteer work. LOVE IT when someone finds out my age and acts surprised or says they never would have guessed me to be in my 50's. What does 50 look like?? I think it looks pretty darned good!! What does 50 feel like? Great, most of the time!! (Ok so there are occaisonally a few more aches and pains then there used to be).
When I was younger (and thought that anyone over 30 was old!!) I never ever thought I'd be in this kind of shape or this active when I was in my 50's.......now it's kinda like.....so I'm over 50.......so what?!?

HUGS --
Ann
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:26 PM

I keep pretty busy too. I take dance classes - tap, jazz, ballet, & my personal favorite - clogging. I can out dance many of the younger
Yes, most days, I get out of bed slower, back aches etc. But once I get moving ( & COFFEE ), I don't stop all day.
So, I think 50 really IS younger these days :
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:02 PM

Oh yes, ((((Ann)))), I love the looks of surprise when I work up the courage to mention how old I am around my co-workers who are all, except for two, in their 20's and 30's: I wish I could bottle it!!! And I know that they're not only being polite
Unread 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM

The 50's woman is often mistaken for a forty year old or younger . She works out, eats healthy,takes care of herself, dresses young, and keeps her hair cut and colored to look much younger. She works, travels, volunteers, and has interests she has time for now that the kids have gone off on their own.

I think we 50 year old women today are not our mother's 50.

I have a 74 year old aunt who, plays tennis 4x a week and looks like 60 and acts much younger than that.

I have some stiffness and such, but I keep on going. I am 57 and have been mistaken for 40.

Hooray! for the baby boomers, we are still going strong!

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.