HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Chemo and a cold Chemo and a cold

Unread 10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Chemo and a cold

Anyone get a cold while on chemo? I have not ran a fever --- just stuffy nose, slight earache and headache. When should I call the oncologist and be concerned? I'm taking Neolasta shots so I don't think my white cell count is that low. I just want it gone before my next treatment time ( next week).
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
My symptoms hit me a few days before my recent treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1021
Anyone get a cold while on chemo? I have not ran a fever --- just stuffy nose, slight earache and headache. When should I call the oncologist and be concerned? I'm taking Neolasta shots so I don't think my white cell count is that low. I just want it gone before my next treatment time ( next week).
I was determined not have an illness set back my schedule so I plugged an echanacea cocktail and drank plenty of fluids, vixed my neck every night and was totally symptom free four days later when my treatment began. Oh an Vit C. I think I caught it early enough to get ahead of it. A fever would be your oncologist's concern, otherwise treat the symptoms and take care of yourself with plenty of rest. Another childhood illness hit me on top of a chemo treatment earlier and wiped me out for two days. So illness on top of chemo is not fun.My daughter and I seem to be transferring illnesses this fall. She was problematically ill everytime last year as well and my friend says this is how her stress is breaking out. Poor kid. I really want to quarantine myself some times.
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Chemo and a cold

I would advise talking with your doctor about this. I did have a cold when I began chemo and after asking me how long I had it and what I was doing and such they went ahead with that first chemo.

Many oncologists don't want us taking many supplements while on chemo. I was told by my doctor and chemo nurses to call anytime I had questions or concerns.

Hope you get over that cold fast.

s
Jane
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Chemo and a cold

I too would call your onco, just to make sure or find out what you can take to help kick the colds butt. As long as you aren't running a fever I think it would be ok to go ahead with treatments.
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Chemo and a cold

If it's just a cold it will be gone by next week. I had a cold during chemo and they went right ahead with treatment.

Best,
Janie
Unread 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Chemo and a cold

I agree. Please call your oncologist. He or she may want to put you onto an anitbiodic before your next treatment.
Feel better.
Rosalie
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Chemo and a cold

I would definitely call your oncologist. When you are on chemo, your body cannot fight infection the way other people can. Even though you are on neulasta, he will probably want to check it out. Best to be safe.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.