HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

anyone else??? or am I alone??? acid reflux anyone else??? or am I alone??? acid reflux

Unread 10-19-2006, 04:21 PM
anyone else??? or am I alone??? acid reflux

Hi Sisters,

anyone out there have problems with bad acid reflux before or after their hyster???

I am trying to battle what they 'think' is a bad case of acid reflux and would like to know if anyone has also battled this and what their symptoms were????

thanks girls,

Lisa
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:29 PM

I have had acid reflux for years. My symptoms are mostly bad, bad heartburn, and a burning feeling in my stomach. I take a 30 mg. Prevacid morning and bedtime.
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:36 PM

I've had severe gastric reflux disease that has even had me seeing a gastroenterologist for a couple years. I take prilosec 40 mg twice a day as well as Zelnorm and domperidone to keep things moving through the gut to keep my stomach empty. Are you taking Motrin or anything like that? That will give big time heartburn. So will codeine. Also, resting more, you could be lying down before your stomach is empty. Should sit up for at least and hour and preferably 2 hours after eating. What about acid foods. They bother me more than spicy. Examples, tomatoes, onions, mustard, anything with vinegar, OJ, and probably the thing that hurts the most...pineapple. Hope it gets better,because the heartburn is worse than any pain I ever had with surgery.
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:48 PM

I had extremely bad acid reflux or what they thought was acid reflux before my hister but now it isnt as bad. So bad that I thought I was having a heart attack one day. My right side of my chest hurt and I was having trouble getting things past the windpipe.I have tried all the meds and they upset my stomach really bad. So I try to stay away from foods that really bother me. Anything with tomatoes in it!! I try to keep something on my stomach because if I dont that is when it bothers me. Eating crackers helps me.
Hope you get some relief soon it can be very painful!!
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM

ah, thanks girls....

I went to the ER last Friday, I thought I was having a heart attack. It even had my middle upper back hurting so bad.
I was taking ONE prilosac once a day, since Tue, now the doctor has me taking TWO a day. I have felt a bit better since doing two... however the evenings is the worst. It does make me sick to my stomach too.
The burning hurts bad... I almost thought I was dying.
Can it take a long time for the medicine to actually kick in and do good? I heard that sometimes it takes time for the meds to work really good.
What do you take for the pain???
Have you ever got it from NOT eating??? I heard sometimes NOT eating can cause stomach acid?? any ideas on that????

Please keep the advise coming. ANyone else have to have that test done when you drink that stuff????

I was getting kind of worried....

Lisa
Unread 10-19-2006, 05:43 PM

They have me take Zantac on top of my prilosec if I need a boost, and then if I need more, I can take an antacid.....I do have it severe though. But no problem taking the Zantac with the Prilosec. I take 150. Mine has been less post op, but it may be because I have kept my bowels moving so I don't strain. Take pericolace.
Good luck, it is terrible when it is flared up!!!
Unread 10-19-2006, 06:09 PM

I had the upper gi series. The worst part is drinking that thick stuff. It doesn't taste bad, but it is so thick I almost gagged twice. After that all you do is stand there while they X-ray the stuff going down. At least that is how my experience was.
I had bad heartburn for a couple of weeks after surgery. Now it is so much better. I have no idea why, I haven't changed anything nor do I take anything for it. Another hyster anomoly for me. LOL.
I hope you get some relief!
Unread 10-19-2006, 06:14 PM

YES!! Dh and I were just talking about this last night!! I can't believe the acid reflux prob. that I'm having right now and I don't know what is causing it. I'll be checking back w/my dr. to get some answers...

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM

You do want to make sure that you are not developing an ulcer. Were you checked for h-pylori (sp?) ? It is not uncommon to have that bacteria, and have reflux, and an ulcer. Please try to fix it before it gets to that point, but know that you are not alone if it does, and there are things YOU and your doctor can do about it.

I have been complaining about a sore and burning throat, fullness and swelling in my throat and back of tongue. This new county doc I am seeing thinks it is reflux developing. My stomach feels fine! I am having a very hard time believing him, and I don't think he is taking me serious. This problem has been developing and progressing since long before my hysterectomy. I want my thyroid checked by an ENT or an endocrinologist. But, maybe my doc knows something I don't?! (I have heard that reflux and gerd can manifest itself other than stomach acid and pain.)

In any event, I am now taking an herb called "Mastic Gum." My doc actually said to "go ahead and give it a try." I had researched this a few years back ...unfortunately, after the fact ...my mother had died of sepsis from a perforated/infected ulcer. 50 per cent of the population can be carrying h-pylori (only some will actually get disorders from it) but it is present in 80% of all ulcer cases. I am not advocating this as fact, but from much I have read about Mastic Gum, it supposedly kills the h-pylori bacteria in the gut. Again, I am not saying this is a fact, but, with no known side effects (unless you are perhaps allergic to the pistachio plant), I am giving it a try! There is quite a bit to be Googled about it, and I am sure some of the info is very commercial, and there is no guarantee that it is all pure from the source, but that is what you have to look into and evaluate. It honestly sounds like a good alternative or addition to me though!

If the Mastic doesn't work, the doc wants me to try the traditional meds. Hopefully I will soon find out if this throat thing is or is not related to reflux. Good Luck to You!
Unread 10-19-2006, 08:38 PM

I started getting really bad heartburn about 2 weeks before surgery. Doctor said this might have been from the size of my fiboids and the extra pressure this was putting on everything along with all the Nsaids they had me taking. I did fine for about 5 days after surgery and then it all fired back up 10 times worse. I too thought I was having a heart attack, back pain, chest pain, burning, stabbing, nights terrible.

Went to doctor again this week and they have had me stop all nsaids, no spicy, acidy foods, no caffiene, no alcohol, all the normal aggravants. They also said to not have anything to drink/eat really cold or hot and not to eat/drink anything (not even water) for 3 hours before I lay down at night. Oh and no cigarettes and limited very low fat dairy and no fried foods. Basically I'm eating paste....and I'm no fun at all!

I have an appointment Tuesday for the same tests you are scheduled for to look for ulcer, h pylori (this can be treated with antibiotics) and other culprits.

I'm taking 20 mg time released omaprezole twice a day and swigging Mylanta when it gets really bad. You want to be careful how many antacids you take depending on the type as they can contain a lot of sodium and magnesium.

Keep us posted on how things turn out and I'll try to drop a note out here for you after my visit on Tuesday.

It should get better with a bit of time and extra care, but it is not something to fool around with if it is serious.

Take care......

Fairney

They told me with this medication (like prilosec) I should see some relief in about 2-4 days, but will feel much better after 2 weeks.

I can then start slowly

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.