HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vicryl Suture Problems?? Vicryl Suture Problems??

Unread 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Vicryl Suture Problems??

Has anyone had any problems with Vicryl sutures? I'm beginning to wonder if it's a suture problem that's causing me to still be inflammed three month's post-op. I have off and on lowgrade temp, below 100 (normal for me is 96.6)flu like symptoms, muscle weakness, naseau and extreme fatigue. I googled vicryl suture material today and there is a lot of information about people that can be allergic to it and have the same symptoms that I have.

Prior to having my last mesh erosion removal surgery at the end of July, I was just starting to feel a little better after feeling so bad for six month's. My first surgeon's operative notes state that he used (I can't think of the correct spelling for the suture material) but it started with an "M". However, when I had my hematoma surgically removed six days later, the operative notes state that he removed two or three vicryl sutures and then closed me with vicryl sutures.

Are there more than one type of vicryl suture? I've been too tired to do much research today other than look up that some people do experience problems.

I need information on this type suture ASAP.

Thanks!

Twinsister
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Vicryl Suture Problems??

Twinsisters, I am sorry you are still feeling so bad. How odd to think it might be the sutures causing the problems now (and how unfair, too--dang it). I did look up some sites for "vicryl sutures" on google and came up with a few. If you google it and then look down the page, you will find some sites that describe 'adverse' reactions, too. I am just listing the 1st couple of basic links here. I hope they help you a little in your start for help. Sending extra S, too...........
Vicryl Basic Info on J&J Site
Technical Info in PDF from ethicon
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Vicryl Suture Problems??

OraDeb,

Thank you for the links! Very interesting reading. I think I've figured this out on my own. Looking at the FDA web site under "Adverse Events" with the Ethicon vicryl suture, there have been complications.

Thanks!

Twinsister
Unread 10-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Vicryl Suture Problems??

I have had my own experience with Vicryl sutures. Unlike yours the sutures don't make me ill. Two weeks after my first prolapse repair the sutures started to come out whole, with the knots still tied! Of course that led to the repair failing and I had to have surgery again 9 months later. This time the Uro/Gyn used Prolene sutures and I only lost 1 or 2 sutures. I recently had mesh erosion excision and the Uro/Gyn used Vicryl sutures again. Two hours after the surgery I had some hemorrhaging and had to have my vagina repacked and stayed overnight for observation. On day 13 post-op I started passing whole tied sutures again. Why he used Vicryl after knowing what happened the first time I will never know. At my 2 week post-op exam he said he could see where I lost the sutures but because the area was so small it seemed to be holding together well. He is keeping me from returning to a full day on my feet as a nurse until my next exam in 2 more weeks. He didn't say why but I am thinking he doesn't want any swelling or stress to the area so as not to compromise the sutures.
I would be interested in looking at the sites you have found with information about adverse events with Vicryl sutures. Sad to say but in many cases we are the ones who do the research and find the cause of our problems before the Dr does.
Michelle
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Vicryl Suture Problems??

Michelle,

It appears that you have two problems with Ethicon, Inc. One of which is Gynemesh, mesh erosion, which is a common problem with this product and other's. Secondly, Vicryl suture material.

Go to the FDA web site and click on consumer's. Go to a (I think it's a maude file) click on it, click on adverse events, and type in the different boxes until you get the information that you're looking for. I would paste it here for you, but don't know how. E-mail if you have any problems and I'll get my nephew to paste it here. Read everyting under Gynemesh/Gynecare, along with the suture material, vicryl and monocryl. Some of these sutures are coated, some or not. Pay particular attention to each claim that was filed with the Ethicon company and their "Narrative Findgins". It appears that they all assign the same outcome to them. The product was not the casuse of the adverse event. No one is policing the FDA. That's why I reported the problem to my local FDA office. I was suppose to get a call me today from my local office, but they didn't bother. That's OK, I'll call back on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. until I get someone to pay attention. I'm tired of reading about all of the sister's suffering with the same problems with complications and the doctor's don't seem to pay attention to what's going on.

As a nurse, I'm sure you see and hear a lot of in your field.

If need be, I will take out a half-page ad in the local paper to see how many women who are suffering from this mesh erosion complication come forward.
Twinsister

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.