HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Low back pain/sex. dysfunction could be piriformis syndrome!!! Low back pain/sex. dysfunction could be piriformis syndrome!!!

Unread 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Low back pain/sex. dysfunction could be piriformis syndrome!!!

Ladies,
I have put up with low back pain for 3 years now. I have also posted that I have had trouble having sex. I now have been told I have piriformis syndrome. My gluteal area always hurts now. The piriformis muscles in your butt actually can spasm and pull down on your lower back muscles thus you now have back pain.
Sex is impossible to do with this since mine is bad. Alot of runners, female atheletes, and any one that has suffered trauma in that area like a bad fall tend to get this. There are two muscles, one on each side of your hips that lie back in your buttocks. These muscles can wreak havoc on your hips, the function of your gait, even sex can be painful.If one muscle is messed up in your pelvic region then it sets off a chain reaction of interfering with other muscles functions.It makes the quads tight, the side of your hip tight, can refer pain to the groin and sciatic pain down the back of your thigh.
Do an internet search on piriformis and you can see what problems it causes. It is limiting my walking since it went undiagnosed for several months. I get spasms in my butt muscles so you can see the trouble as it is relating to sex. If you are looking for answers as to why sex may hurt this could be one of them. This syndrome is under diagnosed and not recognized by alot of drs. I am seeing a physio dr. about this. I am nearly positive I will need a shot of cortisone in the butt to get it to relax. ALOT of stretching the muscle is supposed to help as it is an injured muscle that stays contracted. Surgery to release the piriformis is the last resort. I forgot to mention that piriformis is a sciatic like condition in your butt. Not pleasant. You would get a good idea if you had this syndrome if you felt a horizontal tightness across your butt from your tailbone to your hip joint. ( thats the point of origin and insertion of the muscle) When it gets really spastic you feel as though someone has been continually kicking you in the butt with a steel-toed boot. I have read where it has stopped runner dead in their tracks and you can't phyiscally run until you get it to relax. I hope I get an appt. soon. YOu get mad when drs don't recognize something. A few months after the hyster, I complained to my ob gyn that I had lower back pain and my right hip hurt and he just shrugged it off saying he didn't know why it hurt there! A chiropractor and 2 Physical therapists told me I had this and a reg. medical dr. didn't get it. Hopefully this info.has helped someone.
Unread 10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Low back pain/sex. dysfunction could be piriformis syndrome!!!

Hi Ann--just wanted to wish you luck with your new doctor, hope you can get some relief!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.