HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Taxol/Carbo and hair loss? Taxol/Carbo and hair loss?

Unread 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Taxol/Carbo and hair loss?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how many of you lost your hair with carbo/taxol, and if so how long did it take to start falling out. I'm 2 weeks tomorrow past my first treatment, and my hair seems very sore, if that makes sense at all. Like the follicles are sore I guess. Wondering if that means it's thinking about making a run for it!!

Unread 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Hi hope,

I remember that scalp soreness. I can't remember if I lost my hair after my FIRST treatment, or after my 2nd, but I did lose it. Some say it's better to shave it off once it starts coming out. ...I didnt, and I remember there always being shedding hair in my pillow,in the shower, etc, til it pretty much all fell out. however, I ended up sleeping with a bonnet type hat on my head and that caught a lot of the hair, making the mess much more managable.
Have you picked out a wig, if you've decided to wear one? It's recomended to do that while you still have hair so you can match it up to your color etc.

this reminds me, girls....I'm curious...."they" say that not everyone loses hair w/Carbo/taxol...but , have any of you NOT lost your hair on this combo?

xoxo
k9
Unread 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM

s hope222

I remember the sore hair follicle feeling very well. For me is was about 2 or 3 weeks after the first treatment before I decided to go for it and just shave it all off. I think the sore head was at about 2 weeks.

You have a great attitude about all of this. As you probably know, I will be starting Taxotere next week, so I will be bald for the 2nd time in less than 3 years. No wigs for me this time. I paid $350 for a very nice monofilament wig and I hated the way it felt. It looked good, but was never comfortable.

This time around it will be scarfs and caps only for me. Seems I always get bald in the dead of winter.

I had my last chemo of Taxol in Nov. of 04 and I went to work without anything in January of 05. Granted, it was very, very short, but I was confident enough in myself to go for it.

Unread 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM

Mine started being sore and falling out somewhere around the first of 2nd treatment. It got pretty bald on top so I went after second treatment and had it shaved off. I got tired of all the shedding hair. I go bald at home and wear a wig when I go out.
Wondering -- when did everyone start growing it back? I've heard some people actually start growing it back around 6th treatment. Anyone experienced that?
Unread 10-30-2006, 04:59 PM

Dear Hope,

We started together, both with taxol/carbo, and I am already hairless. The first few days after chemo my hair was like straw, the follicles were aching, and I had a painful scalp rash on the back of my head. At that point I thought it was going to fall out any second.

By this past Saturday morning, though, I looked in the mirror and thought my hair looked pretty good. Someone told me to use dandruff shampoo for the rash and that worked quite well. My hair had recovered from the straw state and actually had a nice little sheen going. "Maybe I'll be able to keep it awhile," was my thought as I looked in the mirror.

That very same night, however, in the bathtub, ALL my pubic hair came out. I certainly didn't expect that to be the first thing. Within an hour my head hair started to go, especially around the hairline.

On Sunday my daughter shaved it all off for me. I went to her house with a scarf so I could cover up after the shave, but when it was done, I did NOT cover it. My hair is now about 1/8th inch long and I honestly think it looks pretty good. I'll tell you one thing, it sure feels good. No more aching head and the lovely breezes feel great across my scalp. I've been instructed that I now must wear dangly earrings, lipstick, and feminine blouses at all times (by my daughter/fashion consultant). Thank goodness the shape of my head turned out to be pretty nice (who knew?).

I don't plan to wear any wigs (I hate them -- they give me headaches) but if this teensy bit of hair falls out, I will wear scarves and hats. Don't worry about me being bald in the winter because I live in MIAMI. Also don't worry about sunburn, because I'm wearing sunblock moisturizer on my head, and I tend to stay out of the direct sun anyway.

Good luck to you with your hair saga.
Unread 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Hi Genie,

I was thinking about you since we started on the same day...how are you feeling otherwise?? I feel like I bounced back pretty quickly, and I'm hoping it'll be that way for the rest of the treatments.

So pubic hair too, huh? I was wondering about that. And my eyebrows. I have dark eyebrows that are pretty full, so if they fall out as well I think that will be more upsetting. My friend does Henna tatooing, I asked her if she can give me eyebrows if they fall out! She said sure, and then joked that we could make me Clingon, from Startrek, if I like. LOL And then she offered to henna my head! That might actually be pretty cool... We joke a lot; her husband survived Hodgkins so we have a lot in common.

I'm really interested to hear more from people about hair loss...when, how much, how long to grow back, etc.

You are all the best, and I'm sooooo glad to have found this place!!! ...
Unread 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope222
Hi Genie,

I was thinking about you since we started on the same day...how are you feeling otherwise?? I feel like I bounced back pretty quickly, and I'm hoping it'll be that way for the rest of the treatments.

So pubic hair too, huh? I was wondering about that. And my eyebrows. I have dark eyebrows that are pretty full, so if they fall out as well I think that will be more upsetting. My friend does Henna tatooing, I asked her if she can give me eyebrows if they fall out! She said sure, and then joked that we could make me Clingon, from Startrek, if I like. LOL And then she offered to henna my head! That might actually be pretty cool... We joke a lot; her husband survived Hodgkins so we have a lot in common.

I'm really interested to hear more from people about hair loss...when, how much, how long to grow back, etc.

You are all the best, and I'm sooooo glad to have found this place!!! ...
I lost my hair about 2 1/2 weeks after my first treatmet and lost the majority of it in one showering. I just clipped what little was left, put on my wig and walked out and no one even batted an eye. Though the wig was a great 'match' it felt horrible. I bought another wig that was much more comfortable but looked less like 'me', I guess. People knew that one was a wig. Go figure. The first one was like a carpet. YUK.

Anyway, my lashes and eyebrows were the last to go and they grew back in almost immediately. I used a little senna color eye shadow to shade in my brows when they thinned and lost the tips of the brow. No one again noticed. I finished taxol/carbo the beginning of March and by the end of march had a dark shadow all over my head. By May I was wearing only hats and packed away my wig. I had decided if I lost my hair this time I was not wearing wigs this time, except for public, but fortunately have kept my hair this time on topotecan. My daughter was very stressed about it. She is 7. I also decided we needed to start living with ovarian cancer being a natural part of our life so it is not unexpected and so upsetting for the children when recurrences happen. I wish I could anticipate being clean forever, but that is not reality.
Unread 10-30-2006, 08:53 PM

I started losing my hair (it started thinning, and when I ran my hands through it it would shed pretty badly) at about 2.5 weeks and at almost exactly 3 weeks my hair fell out almost overnight. It was very traumatic and I was freaked out until I got a wig. I should have gotten a wig much sooner. Almost exactly 3 weeks after my last chemo, however, my hair started coming back in.
Unread 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM

My hair lasted almost until my second cycle of Taxol/Carboplatin. My scalp didn't get sore, but I began slowly shedding. I didn't want to deal with the mess so I shaved it off. Go natural at home, scarves and hats when out, and the wig at work. I've been using Nioxin scalp cleanser, conditioner, and scalp treatment since bald day 1, and weirdly enough, my hair has been slowly growing back in the entire time. Very slow and sparse, but growing nonetheless. I kept my eyelashes and brows until I started the Taxotere/Carboplatin. I use a smudge pencil to blend in my browlines, and just a very light touch of eyeliner. No one has noticed that the brows or lashes aren't natural. And of course the rest of the body hair went "south" as well. I can't say I really miss the shaving either

I hope this answers some of your questions. The worst thing for me was letting the hair fall out. I actually felt empowered when I took the clippers to my hair.
Unread 10-31-2006, 06:12 AM

Hi Hope,

I also bounced back pretty good from the chemo, but it took about 8 days. Lingering symptoms are numbness in the feet and fingers and afternoon fatigue. Mornings are good!

The numbness is definitely chemo but other stuff is hard to tell because I'm also having radiation. Today will be my 12th rad treatment and I get a little nausea right afterward. This could also cause the fatigue, though.

So far my eyebrows are intact which is good since I'm not a whiz with the eyebrow pencil. If I lose the lashes, I plan to wear sunglasses (again, I live in Miami!!).

I tivo-ed the Lipstick movie and I couldn't see how she could stand watching her beautiful hair come out in clumps. I'm definitely in the take it all off camp. Did you see the photos in Self magazine? I've been looking at them in the radiation waiting room. They are so beautiful.

Hey, if all the hair goes south, Sandee, how come I've got no pubic hair but I'm still shaving my legs?? How unfair!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.