HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Q: about anti-bacterial soaps Q: about anti-bacterial soaps

Unread 11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Q: about anti-bacterial soaps

Is this just to bath with or do I have wash my hair with it to? (dumb ??)Is there such a thing as anti-bacterial shampoo/conditioner?
I was told by the nurse that I needed to bath with anti-bacterial soap, I couldn't figure that one out. But, then I saw the 'Wedding Ring' post, someone wrote--
"they also said no lotions or makeup or hair gel or any thing... anti bacterial bath and thats it..... she said that most of that stuff has alcohol in it and could be flamable in the operating room with all the electrical devices..."

Thanks for any advice!
Unread 11-02-2006, 12:43 PM

they told me that at pre op, but ya know... i bet anti bacterial soap has alcohol in it too..... i did ask if bath and body scented anti bacterial soap would be ok and she said sure.... may be she was over exaggerating?... I've never hear of such before?....
Unread 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM

I've never heard this before either.

My list of questions for my doc is going to take 2 hours to answer!
Unread 11-02-2006, 12:58 PM

I've never heard that either!
Unread 11-02-2006, 01:12 PM

Your hair will be covered in a granny like, surgical hat. They will get you to put it on,before you go in. Shampoo is okay. I think the Anti backerial soap is for your body if they have given it to you. I didn't have that, I had to take a shower, the night before, and the morning of the operation. I used ordinary shampoo and soap.
Unread 11-02-2006, 01:39 PM

My doctor is recommending that I purchase a product containing Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4%. I believe it comes in Hibiclens, Hexa-Clens or Dynahex. It is an antibacterial "surgical" soap that I am supposed to use to cleanse the surgical area on the day of the surgery before I come into the hospital. This is supposed to help prevent a Staph infection. They still will do all the surgical prep but this is just an extra precautionary step. It may not be necessary, but anything to help ward off the potentional of a Staph infection, I'm all for it!
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM

The nurse at my pre-op told me to buy Dial Anti-bacterial body wash. I got a huge bottle at Walgreens and started using it before surgery and all during my recovery. It smells good too and I don't think it contains any alcohol.
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM

I also was told that I have to pick up my "surgical soap". I never thought about the hair, but thought it was more for just the body. If you think about all the emergency surgeries, I haven't heard of too many people catching fire from their hairspray. Now, my daughter's chemistry teacher from high school probably would with the amount of hairspray she uses. LOL
Tricia
Unread 11-02-2006, 03:23 PM

I too had to wash with dial soap before my D&C. I bet I will have to before my hyster. I used regular shampoo on my hair.

43 yrs. old fibroid tumors, 20 wk uterus from OHIO
Unread 11-02-2006, 04:18 PM

a friend of mine that works with the castle I'm going to (in research ) said that the number one problem with any surgery is an infection from the castle its self.. this may be why some castle say to use anti-bacterial soap and such and others don't... it doesn't look good if alot of patients come is with out infections and the get one there and have to stay longer. Alot of castle are cutting down the time you stay there to help prevent infections and the studies show that this is working. I am very happy that I go to a big castle that also has a med school there..( down side a lot of students to show and tell to ) up side very up to date techniques and procedures. any way hope this help clear some things up
good luck to all
C

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.