HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Leaking when sitting? Leaking when sitting?

Unread 11-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Leaking when sitting?

OK, I've suspected I might be leaking urine. Panties seem damp, but it's not an overwhelming wetness. My urgency has jumped over the past week or so, as soon as I feel the need I HAVE to go ASAP and it's knee lock dance, the pee pee dance. I have tried to cut back fluids and especially coffee thinking that's part of it. I had to run to the store today, went right before I left the house, and as I am bending to get down in my car I feel leaking I could feel it come out. So I bend and I leak? I didn't have any urge at that point. Is this a possible sign or a fistula (had a perforation during surgery) or just incontinance (not really a *just* but you know what I mean). I am just at 8 weeks post op from a TVH, could it be related to that or should I call straight to a urologist? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jen
Unread 11-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Leaking when sitting?

When my stress incontenence got worse - I would leak when I would bend, lift, exercise, etc. The stress incontenence test isn't painful (uncomfortable - but not painful).

It's worth a call to the doctor to get checked.
Unread 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Leaking when sitting?

Jen,
The timing is about right for suspecting a fistula...my first symptoms were the damp panties. Other things I noticed before being officially diagnosed...this may be TMI :0 urine did not go straight down into the toilet, it would hit my thigh instead. I used an ungodly amount of toilet paper, and no matter what brand, it hurt to wipe off. At times I felt air passing through the urethra. Also, the leak would be worse when I was changing positions, or twisting at the waist. As my body healed from the surgery, the swelling went down, and then the leak got worse.

It actually took me about 2 months to convince my gyne that there was a problem (she had an "oops" with my bladder during my hyst). In fact, I ended up calling the uro who was called in during the emergency to fix my bladder during the hyst, and it was he who first mentioned fistula and told me to call the gyne and tell her which tests she should do first.

My first course of action was to go back to the original gyne and uro, but ended up opting to go to a bigger, teaching hospital for treatment after fistula was confirmed. I wanted a doctor who knew what they were doing, as my original gyne had never treated a fistula, and the uro had not seen one for many years.

You know your body better than anyone and you know if something is not right. I had an HMO, so I had to start back with the first gyne to get to the good uro, but if you can go straightaway to a uro, I would vote for that. S/he would be the one to treat you for either a fistula or incontinent problem. Just make sure the uro has experience in female bladder issues, including fistula.

Let us know how you are doing, and good luck,
Dee
Unread 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Leaking when sitting?

Thanks for the info Dee. Did you just get a small gush of urine when moving? Thing that concerned me is I shouldn't have had any urine or a minimal amount left in my bladder I had just gone maybe 4-5 minutes before that, literally, went to the bathroom, grabbed my keys and jacket kissed hubby and kids and walked to my car, opened it, bent slighty to get in and felt it kind of bubble out. I didn't have my foley in long after the perforation, only a week, uro said for three was scheduled to have it removed at two weeks but went in at day 7 because I was leaking around it. Sigh.....I will call my gyn to see if he wants to see me or send me to my uro. I had bladder issues about 6-7 years ago, frank blood in urine and when they did the cysto they found sores, but no IC, it cleared up and I've been fine since then. Again I appreciate the feed back.
Jen
Unread 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Leaking when sitting?

Jen,
To start with it was a small amount of urine. After urination sometimes I would stand up and before getting out of the bathroom it would feel like I had a little dribble. Very frustrating!!

Of course, esp with your perforation issue, the bladder is a touchy organ and it does take awhile to get back to feeling unabused. Maybe you will be lucky and that is all that is wrong :-)

Good luck,
Dee
Unread 11-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Leaking when sitting?

noniohio..what is the stress incontinence test?? what do they do? I too am having trouble with leakage. I have an appt coming up in a few weeks, just curios as to this stress test..can they tell what is wrong from it? Thanks ladies
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Leaking when sitting?

They were able to tell all sorts of things by the test: how much the bladder is able to hold before having to "go," how difficult it is to stop the flow, how easily the leakage occurs, and what needs to be done to fix the problem.

The test - first they ask you to empty your bladder completely. Then they take you into a room where they insert a catheter. They fill your bladder slowly with saline solution. Then they ask you to tell them:
1 - when you are beginning to feel the urge to go
2 - when you usually go
3 - when it's feeling like it's past the time when you usually go
4 - when you just can't hold another drop
(They take measurements of how much saline is in the bladder for each - this tells them a lot).
THEN - they ask you to cough hard. If urine comes out - you've got urinary stress incontinence.

The last thing the dr does is insert a tiny camera on the end of a flexible wire. they insert that into the bladder through the catheter and use the camera (that's hooked up to a moniter) to see if there are any tears, hernias, ruptures, etc. in the bladder.

If you relax, the catheter does not hurt when it is inserted or removed. It just feels like you have to "go."

The saline feels cold - and when you go to pee the saline out - you're peeing out cold water. That wasn't painful at all, but it was really strange. Usually our pee is the same temperature as our body, but after the test, our pee is colder than our body. It doesn't stay cold for very long after - but it's a strange (in a funny sort of way) to feel cold on the inside of the body.

Out of all the procedures I've had (colonoscopy, barium G.I. - upper and lower, spinal tap, etc.), it is less painful, and less uncomfortable.

I hope this has helped.
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Leaking when sitting?

Yes noniohio that was helpful..do they always do this test?? It sounds not too bad..but worse than the ultrasound when you just have to hold it for so long. I have been having this leakage problem since before my hyster actually I am almost 2 yrs post..the doc said he thought then that it would be better after as the weight of the uterus would be off my bladder..and it was some better after..but this last 8 months or so it has slowly gotten worse..I am suspecting that they will have to lift the bladder. I really hate the catheter part..i have such trouble relaxing!!sigh
Unread 11-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Leaking when sitting?

I only had this test done once - and that was prior to my TAH/BSO because my dr wanted to see how bad my incontinence was so I would have only 1 surgery instead of 2.

I don't like catheters either - but I keep telling myself that it's MUCH better than a colonscopy!

When do you see your dr?
Unread 11-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Leaking when sitting?

I see him Nov 22..so we'll see what he thinks. thanks again

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.