HELP!! Weight Gain since surgery...can't wear my clothes!!! | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!! Weight Gain since surgery...can't wear my clothes!!! HELP!! Weight Gain since surgery...can't wear my clothes!!!

Unread 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
HELP!! Weight Gain since surgery...can't wear my clothes!!!

[font=Times New Roman][size=2][color=Purple]
Could anybody give me some advice?? I am 13 months past my complete hysterectomy. My weight before surgery....123 lbs. My weight right now....166LBS.!! It seemed like it was an overnight gain in weight! One day I was still wearing my size 8 britches....the next day I could barely get on my size 10's...let alone the 8's!! I am now into size 12's and they are starting to get tight!!! I am a poor gal & I can't afford to go buy more new clothes!! I just started a new job at a school, which requires me to look/dress business casual every day...No Blue Jeans, as the students have a dress code they must follow.
My Doctors are telling me that this new weight is all the different medications I have had to start taking since the surgery. I take several meds per day & they (the Docs) have changed my meds many times over these past 13 months. I have not changed my eating habits in any way since last October '05 when I had the hysterectomy! All the new weight is in my tummy, hips, & much to my husbands delight...my boobs!! I hate this!!! Any advice for trying to drop this extra baggage would be GREATLY appreciated!!! HELP!!!
Love & God Bless To All My Hyster-Sisters!!!
Fanilow #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2006, 09:45 PM

I wish I could be of more help than to say that I have also steadily gained weight since my surgery-and most of it is in my middle.

I have found that cutting back on sugar and white flour products, helps me drop some water weight.

I am also on estrogen. That can contributes as well.

Several people have told me, that in time, it will start to even out more. How much time, wish I knew. Like you, I am tired of out growing my pants.
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM

I am watching my weight too. Do you exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2006, 02:43 PM

Hi fanilow1 and to Hystersisters! I hope we can offer you support and information that will be benefitial to you!

I wanted to let you know that we have a few other forums on the site where you might also find some great support!

You can check out B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team) where other ladies are dealing with weight issues.

You can also use the "Quick Jump" tab at the top of your screen and use the down arrow to find the "Forums Home" option. You will be able to read about all the forums we have and see if any of them would helpful such as the "Hormone Jungle" if you take hormones, "Oasis" if you can not take hormones, "Hysteritaville -- Wellness Post Hyst," and many more!

Lots of s and best wishes to you! There are many ladies on the site who have experienced weight issues after a hyst and are very supportive in the "BEST" forum!
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:32 PM

You stated, "I have not changed my eating habits in any way since last October '05 when I had the hysterectomy!"

Hey Fanilow (I just learned this weekend what a Fanilow is -- cute name!), obviously it is time to start changing those habits because they aren't doing you any good. I lost 50 lbs. six years ago and have kept the weight off, even through my bedrest and recovery, and I'm not exactly a young chick anymore (metabolism is slowing, etc.). I eat "clean" foods -- non-processed foods that still look like nature intended, such as fresh fruits and veggies, steamed veggies, baked or broiled (not breaded, fried, over-sauced, etc.) poultry/fish/beef, etc. You know what I mean. Stay away from fast and processed foods. I'm not a fanatic, just keep approx 80% of the diet clean. I know how many calories I need to consume each day in order to stay at a healthy weight, and I record everything I eat everyday (well, maybe not on Thanksgiving!). I workout daily, but here I am a fanatic. The average person wanting to lose weight should workout 4-6 days a week, especially cardio (walking, cycling, etc.). Your doctor can tell you how many calories you should consume to lose weight. Or, find one of the reputable websites on the internet to learn how to calculate your required daily caloric intake vs. the amount of calories needed in order to safely reduce your weight. NOT changing the way you eat doesn't help you become healthy and lose weight. Knowledge to correctly change your nutritional intake plus exercise will get you back to the shape you want. Also, check out the other areas of this website as mentioned above. This website is a valuable resource of information and motivation and other friends to lose weight with. Best wishes.
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM

I looked at your profile - welcome to the world over the age of 50. Your metabolism is about to change drastically and with having a hyst. it will be worse. Fitness Fan is right on the mark with the eating. It's a great idea to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's important to each really light on days that you know you are going out to dinner or a dinner party. It's important to measure your portions. If you are having cereal for breakfast most of the portion sizes are 1/2 to 1 cup. measure it - it is not alot of food. I believe you said you worked in a school - stay away from the faculty lounge especially during the holidays when parents and other teachers are always bringing in food food food or you will add another 20lbs before new years. I am a PE teacher/coach by profession so I know about that one. You must exercise. When I worked, I bought a pedometer and walked my lunch hour. I have a treadmill at home so I can walk even when it rains. We have new gym by our house - its a chain and its national - its called planet fitness - its $10 a month to join. It has cardio equipment, free weights and machines - they do not allow body building in there and all should feel comfortable. If you have one near you you should look into it. Well worth my $10 a month.
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Hi there,

I have not gained weight since my TAH. BUT, in the past I put on 45 lbs. due to medication I was taking. I completely understand where you are coming from. I did nothing different and in a matter of months I just ballooned.

What medications are you taking? I was finally able to work with my dr. to adjust my medications and was able to lose the weight I had gained.

It is a terribly upsetting thing to go through. I'm Sorry.
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Had to come back: Laxcoachlc is right, stay away from the faculty lounge! I am also a teacher. School food is the worst! No wonder our kids are obese. Fanilow1, pack your food each day, good nutritious foods and snacks from home. Avoid eating like the students. Fanilow1, you sound like a sweetheart, and I hope I wasn't too blunt. I believe in "pampering the princess," but not when it comes to sitting in bed and eating sweets! Don't think I haven't felt sorry for myself lately and tempted to eat an entire carton of Haagen Daz ice cream, which is how I got heavy in the first place! Sounds like you continue to have medical issues, and my heart goes out to you. Clean eating can cure, or at least improve so many of our health problems. Funny, but when I was heavier I also had nice, full boobs. Oh, well. A hug to you.
Unread 11-05-2006, 04:45 PM

I've gained 10 lbs. since my surgery last November. Not sure why, I haven't changed a thing still eat the same, exercise like always. I am taking no HRT so I'm not really sure what's going on? Any suggestions?
Unread 11-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Abbey2005 do you mind if we as how old you are? Are you careful about nibbling during the day (also known as mindless eating) all the cookies, crackers, stuff we pull out of the fridge and eat as we are getting out ingredients out for meals. Are you as active as you were before surgery - not your exercise active - your general active or are you doing alot more sitting around during the day. These are some small things that can make really big changes and add up quickly into big weight changes. Also watch your fast food "healthy foods" they are really not very healthy - most fast food places have web sites that have all of their nutritional values listed - check them first they will scare you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register