HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can't tell when my bladder is full????!! Can't tell when my bladder is full????!!

Unread 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Can't tell when my bladder is full????!!

Okay, so I started the pelvic muscle pt yesterday and I have been doing my kegels all day and yesterday. My doctor told me that I needed to drink more water (I never drink water), so today I woke up and thought "okay....I am going to drink that yucky stuff today". Well....I drank 30 oz of water today and I can't tell if my bladder is full or not. This is how my cathing has gone today:

6am - 500ml
10:30am - 600ml
3:00pm - 75ml
6:00pm - 800ml

I have been told that having the bladder full while not being able to void is really hard on the lining, but I can't tell when I am full or not.

Ugh...I am really trying to do all the right things in order to void on my own, but I don't know what to do anymore. Am I drinking too much water? I feel like I have cathed way too much today as well. I don't want my bladder to "forget" how to go on its own by cathing so much.

I am so aggrevated and upset right now.....
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:42 PM

You're really having a rough time with things here lately...sorry!

When you say you cant tell when the bladder is full, do you mean you have no sensation at all?

Just curious
diana
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM

I know that I have some in there and the doctor said to just cath about 3-4 times a day. I just can't tell when there is soooo much. I know 800 ml is really bad though. I just don't know anymore. My tummy is still swollen a little and before my hysto my tummy always was swollen so it is a little hard for me to tell. Plus, I was always that person who drank like 8-9 cups of coffee a day and only went to the bathroom 2-3 times a day. I think someone above is telling me that I abused my bladder so much in the past that now it is payback time!!

I do know that since I started my kegels, my bm's have been so much better (along with MOM). Thank god...those were really bad before. I just wish I could void on my own. I have good days and then I have really bad days. I just wish I would have know about all the risks post op. This has taken over my life.......
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM

jengland,

30 ozs of water is not to much.....it is probably not enough if that is all you drank all day. I hate water to, but while I was sick (I had a VVF), I forced myself to drink water like medicine, I drank 4-oz every hour during the day and went on drinking my drink of choice in between. My situation was not the same as yours, but I am one of the rare, very rare people who never got any infections through my whole ordeal. I feel for you....I am so sorry you have to go through this. My bladder would not function for the first week after my hysterectomy....then it just drained through my vagina, no way to hold it for months. Anyway, what I am trying to say.....is what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Hang in there, and get a second and third opinion...fourth, fifth,six, if necessary until someone is able to give you real results!!!!

HUGS,

CJ
Unread 11-11-2006, 07:24 AM

Are you seeing a uro/gyn or urologist? There is some sort of valsa manuver that can help you go, I don't know exactly how to do it though. Also have you tried Flomax? I know you asked about it, but it really made me go and empty. If you are not getting results and the doctors office isn't helping you, I would seek a second opinion. Hugs, I know this must be very hard on you.
Unread 11-11-2006, 07:50 AM

CJ

Thanks for the post. I kind of figured that 30 oz wasn't that much. I would drink more, but am so afraid of my bladder filling too much like it did when I only drank 30 oz. I too was one of those people who rarely got infections. My only issue was endo and I thought that was bad, but nothing like this. Everyday my poor husband says "I wish I could do something for you" and all I say is "I wish I could go to the bathroom and think of other things other than this". It is really draining me emotionally.

Hopefully today will be a "good" day....we shall see.

Thanks again.
Julie
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:30 AM

I'm told to drink at least 8 glasses (8 oz each) of water/day. At least. I was also told to drink no more than 2 cups of coffee/day.

I "go" to the toilet about 4-6 times/day, and sometimes 1-2 times during the night. (Depends on how late I have my last drink of anything).

Water helps to have soft and regular BMs - so it sounds like the water is helping you in that department.

I don't know your specific circumstances, but I wouldn't be too worried about how much you drink (input). The body uses water for other functions so I don't think that the same amount comes out that is put in. (Your dr will be able to verify this.) If the dr. is concerned about the amount you are voiding, then you might just need to void/cath more frequently.

It sounds like it might just be trial and error until you figure out how often is enough for you. Hang in there. These things take time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.