HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ovary removal after hysterectomy Ovary removal after hysterectomy

Unread 11-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Ovary removal after hysterectomy

Hello everyone! I had a hysterectomy inSeptembet of 2005. I have had no regrets. But they were planning on leaving both ovaries until they got in there and saw that my right ovary had a fibroid so they removed that ovary and tube. Now a year later my left ovary is causing me a lot of pain and now I am in menopause. I went to the doctor and they now want to remove the left one. Has anyone had this done? They say it is risky and worse than doing the hysterectomy. Please help!
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:22 PM

s mmwf480

I'm sorry to read that you are having to deal with all of this, along with the unwanted pain.

Many ladies on these boards have had ovary removal following a hyst. Did your Dr. say that it was more risky and worse than the hyst? Are they planning on doing a lap to remove the ovary, or is the fibroid to big?

I think you will find the surgery to be no worse than your hyst, if not easier. Go thru and search some posts in this forum, and you'll find alot of members who have been thru the same thing.

in there.....waiting is the worst part.
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, they would have to cut me open again because I have to much scar tissue. I had two c sections and when they did the hyst they had to cut me from hip to hip. They said that it is more risky than the hyst that part has me worried. Thanks for the advice i will check out the other forums too.
Unread 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM

why do they say it is more risky than the hyst? I just had a ROS -- had to have a regular incision. It is definately a different surgery. The recovery has not been the same, but I don't get the riskier part????? Can you give us any more info?
Unread 11-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Question - Ovary removal after hysterectomy Ovary removal after hysterectomy

My doctor said that it was more risky because of the risk of having to go around all of the scar tissue. This can then lead to him hitting other things such as my bowel. He wants to see the ultrasound results then we are going to meet and go over the risk. Sorry that I may sound stupid but is ROS having the ovaries removed after the hyst? With me they cut me hip to hip to get past all of the scar tissue. So instead of being cut only a few inches I was cut about 9 inches. When they did the ultrasound before my hyst they couldn't even see my left ovary. So it ruled out a vaginal. I go on Tuesday for the ultrasound and he said to schedule an appt in about a week and we will talk about the options. Which I don't fell like I have many. I'm 26, already going threw menopause because that ovary has stopped working. So I am already on the meds. I just want to take it out to stop the pain. Is that crazy?
Unread 11-11-2006, 09:53 AM

mmwf480, when I had my BSO, 7 months after my hyst, my dr planned to do it laproscopically. I ended with a laprotomy due to adhesions. The adhesions made it hard for him to see the ureter. This surgery is done quite often after a hyst and there are alot of ladies here who have gone thru it. ROS stands for right oophorectomy salpingo which means that the right ovary and fallopian tube were removed. I found this article in resouces which may be helpful http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic100587228. There is a lot of good info in resources, be sure and check them out. I think educating yourself is the best thing you can do for now. Keep us posted on what you find out. I am sending lots of 's, Carol
Unread 11-11-2006, 10:21 AM

mmwf480, I had an RSO done last year,10 months after my TAH. I too had alot of scar tissue from 4 previous c-sections and a TAH. My TAH scar also expands from hip bone to hip bone. My gyn never mentioned that the RSO would possibly have a higher complication risks than the TAH. With any surgery there is always the risk of complications.
Best wishes with your upcoming decisions.
Nancy
Unread 11-11-2006, 10:41 AM

Now I understand. I hope you can get the information you need to make your decision. Our hystersister Hostesses always have the best threads to direct us too.

Best wishes.
Unread 11-11-2006, 12:28 PM

Thanks you so much for your post and info. It helps so much more to talk to people that have been threw it. I have had problem since day one. Its hard but I'll get threw it!
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Cool - Ovary removal after hysterectomy Re: Ovary removal after hysterectomy

I am in the same boat. Had my hysterectomy in 2011 and June 3 just had my ovaries out. Had a cyst in the left one and endometreois on the right. And they both suck either way. I am 42 and starting hormone thereapy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway