HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

lost orgasm after oophorectomy lost orgasm after oophorectomy

Unread 11-12-2006, 01:32 PM
lost orgasm after oophorectomy

I had a hysterectomy and BSO in March to remove endo cancer. It was very early grade and stage so I did not have to have any further treatment. Physically I recovered really quickly from the op. At first everything went back to normal with my sex life. I was able to have orgasms as before. A couple of months on my breasts became numb for a while but that has recently passed and they are once again very sensitive.
However since September, although my libido is fine, in that I really feel like making love, I have completely lost the ability to have an orgasm.It is definitely not psychological. I feel really turned on but that area just wont get the message. i feel numb.
I know that ladies do often report lost libido after a BSO, but my actual libido is fine. I think about making love a lot and in my mind it is as it should be. I am hoping that this is temporary. I wonder if anyone can give me any reassurance on this issue?
I had my 6 months check up last week and the doctor was no help at all. Obviously I cannot take hormones .I am very unhappy. If I wasn't interested any more that is one thing but I really am. HELP!!!!
Unread 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM

I am sorry no one posted to this for you, because I don't have much to offer but was hoping someone more informed would come along for you. Several women have reported that it took them awhile to relax into intimate relations again. Have you tried manual stimulation rather than intercourse? That way, you can discover whether it's associated with penetration or not? Are you using sufficient lubricant to assist pleasure?

Physiologically, my orgasm is different in its nature from when I had a uterus. In orgasm, a woman with a uterus may feel part of her waves of pleasure from the contractions of her uterus. Without a uterus, the impact of the stimulation is entirely exterior (clitoral). For me, the big O is less a big O. It's there, but it's nothing like it was before, because there is no uterine involvement. I imagine that whatever it is, it will be temporary. Have you had your mammogram, so that you can be more clear about what went on with your breast situation?

I hope things improve for you really soon. And I hope someone will come along who can be more helpful than I.
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM

If it is estrogen that you cannot take due to cancer concerns I wonder if taking testosterone would help. I'm not sure if you can take testosterone without replacing estrogen as well, however, I have found that following my surgery I have needed to replace both to make myself functional in the sex department. Just a thought. I would also discuss this with your doctor. Best of luck to you.
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:10 PM

I am sorry you are having problems. I had some problems the first several months, but the more we tried the better it did get. It may be that some of the nerves are still in shock.

We have a Resources library here on the site and you might look at the Sexual Dysfunctional section for more insight.

It may take more time for you than it did for me, so don't give up.

Hang in there

s
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:28 AM

I have been using Replens to keep everything moist and happy down there. But my forgetter has been working overtime. So if I don't do it on schedule it is not so happy and have trouble with the orgasm department. Happy is better.
Hope this helps.
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Thank you all for your replies. However I have only just found them as I do not seem to be receiving e-mail notification of them.
Since I posted the first time, things have become worse. I am at the stage where I am not really interested at all and feel extremely low and flat all the time. I am hoping that someone can come along who can give me some hope for my general happiness in the future?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.