HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abdominal Pain After Hysterectomy Abdominal Pain After Hysterectomy

Unread 11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Abdominal Pain After Hysterectomy

I've Been Having These Severe Abdominal Cramps, Spasms Or Whatever U Want 2 Call Them. They Started Around The 8th Or 9th Day After Surgery & Hurt Like Hell. The Pain Feel Like Really Bad Cramps. @ 1st I Thought It Was Gas Pains, But I Was Already On Gas-x.they Do Seem 2 Get Better If I Pass Gas, Which I've Been Having A Hard Time Doing.has Anyone Had This Problem After They're Abdominal Hysterectomy? If So What Did You Do? Please I Need Help.
Unread 11-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Hi Loveshoes
Yes, I remember getting those kinds of pains.
I found walking around the house seemed to help move the gas and staying away from gassy foods such as carbonated beverages, broccoli, cabbage, etc. is important for the first while .
Sometimes the intestines get a bit disturbed during a surgery and it takes a while for them to settle down.
Hope this problem clears up for you soon. It sure isn't fun!
Trisha
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:38 AM

Thanx, A Million Sparrowsong. I Just Never Envisioned Gas Pain Could Be So Painful. Now I See Why Babies Who Have Gas Cry Alot, Their Poor Bellies Hurt!!!!!!
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:45 AM

I think the gas pains hurt more than anything else.
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:05 AM
OMG! Gas Pain!!!

I just got home from the Castle on Thanksgiving. I had a melon-sized fibroid tumor, so I have an unusually large scar; 6 inches verticle. Did I expect abdominal pain? Sure. I believe I have beared up very well with the pain. Difficulty sitting up? Okay, I can deal with that. Post-op dizziness, nausea, lack of appetite, weakness, I try to take it with a smile. GAS PAIN??? I cried like a baby throughout the entire night one night! It was by far the worst part! It seemed so strange, and I couldn't believe that this is what "brought me down." I found myself wandering the hospital halls with my IV pole at 2:30 in the morning wimpering like a puppy and tears streaming down my face with pain shooting all the way up through my shoulder blades. It does pass... as gas always seems to do. Now for that pesky BM that I haven't had yet!

Hang in there!
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:53 AM

I Know Exactly How U Feel, It Just Seems Strange That The Gas Pain Didn't Happen Till Around The 8th Or 9th Day After Surgery. Ur Right, This Gas Pain Is Bringing Me Down. Don't Know What Else 2 Do. I'm Hanging N There, & Thanks!
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Hey loveshoes, that gas sure is a pain! Try walking around, that helps. Another tip I've read is to lay on one side, then switch to another. (if you can, I couldn't lay on my sides for a couple weeks) THe reason behind swtiching sides is that our intestines around 1 straight line, so of course the gas has to move around a bit before finding it's way "out". lol

Also, if you haven't had a bm yet, the gas will build up until you do. Just keep on walkin hon...it does get better!
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:42 AM

I think it's really rude that the Docs don't tell us when they do these kinds of surgery ( especially abdominal ) THEY insert air ( GAS ) into us to help move the other organs out of the way so they can get to where they need to go.. So how come they cant let it back out? If we are lucky enough not to have any other complications, the gas pains after surgery seem to be the WORST pain of all. At least it was for me. It takes a good 10 days or so to really get rid of it all. So blame most of your gas pains on the Doctor.. LOL
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM

I had severe gas pains yesterday - day 11 after my TAH. Tears streaming down my face, wimpering - you bet it does hurt. I found it difficult to even walk during that time. Things are much better today. I felt like I was getting so much better, so yesterday was a bit of a downer. My husband tells me "Two steps forward, one step back" and to remember that I am getting better. Today I know I am much better. Yesterday, I was wondering.
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:54 AM

I'm Glad 2 See Someone Actually Understands It's Not All In My Head. Thanks 4 The Encouraging Words

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.