HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hot tub use after surgery Hot tub use after surgery

Unread 12-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Hot tub use after surgery

Hello, I had a LAVH on 11/27/06. Doing well at home with only occasional pain. My doctor said I could take baths after one week. Does anyone have any experience using their hot tub post op. I would love to get in it and since it isn't a public hot tub I feel better knowing that it is "clean".
Unread 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM

I'd definately ask your dr. Mine released me to tub and hot tub at 4 wks. Some of the other sisters said they could from day one and others said their drs. released them to tubs but not hot tubs because regardless of who uses it, they are "full of bacteria". :-)
Unread 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM

I would check with Doc as to a safe temperature to set the hot tub...the usual 102 (or whatever) may be a bit extreme.

Hot tub = heaven
Unread 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM

I had a LAVH as well, two weeks before yours, and my Doc will not allow any type of bath until after my 6 week check. I mentioned to her that other Drs. do not make their patients wait that long, and wondered if I had special circumstances. My Doc said that most of the complications she has seen with this procedure were from infection, so NOTHING (including bath water) can go into the vagina for the first 6 weeks.

My Doc said I have only one chance to heal properly, so the sacrifices I make now will pay off in the long run. Hmmmmm.....where have I heard that before?
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:43 PM

I had a LAVH nine weeks ago.
NO TUB or hot tub or swimming of any kind for six weeks for me. Showers only! She did not want any bacteria around the internal stiches. The stiches are little breading ground havens for bacteria.....
You could always call yoru doctor. They are all different with what they want you to do.
Unread 12-06-2006, 02:37 PM

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I think I will wait to be on the safe side. It is so true that we only have one chance to heal properly. A small sacrifce now will pay off in the end.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.