HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

DHEA Helps Hot Flashes DHEA Helps Hot Flashes

Unread 12-10-2006, 09:17 AM
DHEA Helps Hot Flashes

Hello Sisters,

I just want to add my 2 cents regarding DHEA. I take DHEA and have been for the past 6 months. It appears to assist with how flashes and overall functioning. I take 5 mg and it seems to work. It is not recommended that women take more than between 5-10 mg due to the side affects it causes such as unwanted hair growth. DHEA converts to testosterone and estrogen in the body if you are female. I decided to go this route because I have not been successful on conventional hormones, they seem to cause weight gain. Whereas, DHEA does not and it helps with a host of things. I feel stronger, I sleep better, it causing calming, and most of all it helps with the hot flashes. Just thought I'd report this. Thanks.
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:09 AM
DHEA Helps Hot Flashes

Hi Bonomi -

Are you getting the DHEA as a prescription from a doctor, or are you getting DHEA supplement from a health store? Just curious, as I am currently on HRT, but just don't feel right. I'm just looking at other alternatives.

Thanks! Debra
Unread 12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
DHEA Helps Hot Flashes

I do get my DHEA in prescription form by my doctor. It is compounded from a pharmacy out of Madison, Wisconsin. It is not advised to use the over the counter DHEA because of the purity factor and the mg is too high. If it's compounded for you it's better for you and will not cause the side affects of the over the counter types. My insurance also does cover my DHEA. The effects of taking it is subtle because you won't notice too much right away but you have to take it a few months first. I didn't realize how much it was helping me until I ran out and the hot flashes started. It's just an all around good prescription to take because it also has a calming effect as well. Some people are skeptical about DHEA but I would rather take it than not because he converts to estrogen in your body which may be just enough to keep the hot flashes at bay. Any further questions or clarifications let me know. Also, if you are seeking a prescription your doctor will probaby want to check you levels first and then prescribe.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway