HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pain in the groin (crotch)area Pain in the groin (crotch)area

Unread 12-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Pain in the groin (crotch)area

I had a hysterectomy on Oct. 24, 2006 so I am a little over 7 weeks post-op. I have been perfectly fine until after last weekend. I walked around at the mall for 3 hours. I started having pain in the groin area, it kind of feels close to my vagina but it also feels like it is kind of to the side of it. I spoke with my gynecologist about it. She suggested that it is still sensations from the vaginal cuff healing. I have been trying to be less active now so it will feel better. I have also taken ibuprofen. Nothing seems to help. When I am sitting still there is no pain. However, when I get up and start walking it aches at every step. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what else to do.
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Hi there!!

In my book, you're still pretty early post-op to be walking the mall (and presumably carrying bags of merchandise).... I think this is your body's way of telling you to continue to take it easy. Give yourself a few days of extended rest, and see what happens.

Shopping malls are notorious for very, very hard floors (that's cement even under the carpet!) and you always end up walking more than you think you will. So try to be a little more gentle with yourself the next few days. I know that's hard, but that's what I'd do.

to you! Remember, you're a now.
Unread 12-14-2006, 11:12 PM

You are probably right about doing too much too soon. It is just the holiday season and I just kind of feel pressured to do more than I should. Maybe I should at least cut the shopping trips in half. I'll wait to feel better before shopping again though. Thanks for the help.
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:42 AM

I am at 4 wks and having the same pain. I told my husband that I was having a burning, sharp pain in the groin area and he said, "groin"?? I know it doesn't make sense with the location. I hope someone knows what it is that causes it. Vag cuff seems a little far away for that.
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:41 AM

I had this with my TVH 5 years ago and with my recent salpingectomoy with a bikini cut. My doctor says it is a ligament that gets irritated. I did the same thing, 4 days after my salpingectomy. I walked the mall very slowly for a couple of hours and then suffered for 3 days trying to get that thing to calm down. Nothing would touch it pain med wise. I just stayed as still as I could on the couch and only got up when absolutely necessisary. I even slept on the couch the first night because it was the only way to be comfortable.
Unread 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM

I am about a week and a half post op and have the same pain and it hurts! My doc said that it was nerves in that area and that it would go away eventually. You probably aggrevated it and they are letting you know about it. That is the first area to start throbbing when I do too much which at this point in recovery is not a whole lot. Ugh
Unread 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM

I felt the same thing , and still do occasionally, d*****etly when I have put in a lot of walking. It seems to be getting less. I go back to work tomorrow for the first time and a little nervous because I am on my feet 10 hours a day, 4 days a week.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.