HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Scaring After Surgery? Scaring After Surgery?

Unread 12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Scaring After Surgery?

Hi All,

It has been a while since I have visited all of you. I have been very busy with work and the holidays. First off, MERRY CHIRSTMAS to all of you!!!

Secondly, I have a question for anyone who might be able to help me....can you scar internally from a hysterectomy? I have had everything removed-but I still have cramps a few times a week and "it" just dosen't feel right.

The reason for my asking about scar tissue is because a couple of months ago, while having intercourse, I bled. I saw my doctor and she said that my cuff had scar build up from my surgery and then she used silver nitrate on it (ouch!). Then (to make things better) I tested positive for the HPV with the cancer cells in it. My doctor thinks that she may have removed all of the bad cells when she used the silver nitrate on me, however, I am getting retesed in January to make sure. Lucky me.....

So now you can see why I am concerned about the scar tissue....not for the cancer reason, but for the simple fact that if it attacked my cuff, is there any way that it is inside my tummy? I know that I can ask my doctor in January, but any of your advise is well welcomed.

By the way, since that time I had intercourse and bled, I have not tried to have sex again.

Any ideas? Thank you all so much for everything!!!!!!!
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Scaring After Surgery?

Yes, unfortunately scar tissue can develop anywhere there's been injury, trauma, surgery - inside or out.
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Scaring After Surgery?

Scar tissue (adhesions) is the bodys natural defense when trauma occurs (surgery, injury, disease, etc). Symptoms usually show-up as pulling, tugging, pain, soreness, heaviness, etc where adhesions have formed. Its not uncommon to develop adhesions post-hysterectomy; some people have symptoms, others don't.
Unfortunately the only way to positively diagnose adhesions is with surgery, which in turn causes more adhesions. Most Dr's wont recommend adhesiolysis unless the patient is complaining of symptoms.
I personally developed adhesions within a couple of weeks post-hyst. My symptoms were like the above mentioned. I had adhesiolysis at 8 months post-hyst due to the adhesions adhering to my colon and other parts of the LLQ area; and unfortunately, within a couple of months symptoms returned, though so far (knock wood) my symptoms are nowhere near as bad as they were first time around.

If your symptoms are bothersome by all means bring this to your Dr's attention.

take care, dear
diana
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Scaring After Surgery?

Dear Diana

What were your symptoms for the adhesions? I made queloids scars all over my skin each time I cut, burn or whatever happens to me. And I has adhesions due to my 2 c-sections inside (hope they were removed in the surgery). But all the time, I was having cramps, and problems with BM, now I suppose these things were related to.
Thanks!

43 yo,SAH, kept ovaries, endometriosis, fibroids, polips, no cnacer found
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Scaring After Surgery?

My symptoms included pain, soreness, pulling, tugging and heaviness in the area where the adhesions had formed.

take care
diana

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway