HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I'm new, how long does it take to heal?? I'm new, how long does it take to heal??

Unread 12-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm new, how long does it take to heal??

I apologize for not researching this topic, but I just GOTTA know, how long does it take to recover? What's the minimum and what's the maximum for each of you ladies?? Thank you sooooo much!
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:19 PM

This is a very individual situation; depending much on what type of surgery you're having. I had a vag hyst on a Tuesday morning, and was home Wednesday around lunch time. I had no pain to speak of, but did take my darvocett just to keep on top of anything. I just felt a bit sore or 'tight' thru my mid section. I took my time; let my family wait on me at first, and didn't sweep, mop, mow or lift anything for at least 2 weeks. I was able to climb the stairs to my bedroom the first night I was home. I think my recovery was exceptional, tho.
Best advice; follow your dr's orders - you only have one chance to heal right!
Best of luck to you (your surgery's on my b-day!)
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:27 PM

As campsalot said -- it varies for each person.
It depends on the type of hyst. you have.
It depends on how your body recovers.
It depends on whether you have other repairs or not.
It depends on how much help you have so you don't overdo things.
It depends on what you count as "healed".... completely healed can take up to a year. Healed enough to return to work and normal activities is about 2 months generally.
Unfortunately no one can tell you for sure.
Unread 12-25-2006, 11:48 PM

The first two weeks were the worst for me. I still pretty much follow orders and don't lift or bend or anything. Tues the 26th will be 6 weeks post op.
Unread 12-26-2006, 12:08 AM

The 1st two weeks were the worse for me also. I return to work Jan 2nd 2007. I also followed orders and took it easy. I feel really great. But as everyone has said it is all individual. I really believe in taking care of yourself, pamper the princess, and it will help alot.
Unread 12-26-2006, 01:01 AM

i think we'll all agree that it depends on any complications afterward (even minor ones like a UTI can add a few days to your recovery time). for me, i think the biggest thing is the type of surgery. i had a TAH with a vertical incision due to my tumor size and the recovery was worse than 3 previous c-sections i had that were bikini cuts! every week brings so much more improvement though. i'm at 7 1/2 weeks, i'm returning to work on Thursday, had sex last week, and rode a bike today! still get tired and sore, but nothing i can't handle. from what i hear, it's 6-12 months until we feel 100%. but i'm happy with the 90% that i feel i'm at right now!
Unread 12-26-2006, 01:02 AM

one more thing...take a look at the checkpoints on the tabs at the top of the page. it's amazing how accurate they are!
Unread 12-26-2006, 01:03 AM

The checkpoints are really great!! I agree
Unread 12-26-2006, 02:56 PM

I am three months out and still have abdominal pain if I overdo things. I feel pretty normal as long as i dont do much. I dont know if the pain is due to the hematoma as its impossible to know. When they say 6 - 12 months before you feel 'normal' I think that is probably true - at least I hope so. The first 3 weeks were the worst for me. After that it was not so bad but nothing like being normal. Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear but that has been my personal experience. Do I regret it? - No becasue I dont think I had any choice. Was it worse than I expected? - Yes.
Unread 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM

I am on day 9 since my TAH and today is the first day I feel really good. It was worse than I expected, but not surprisingly so. Definitely take all the help you can get. Be prepared for things like bad gas pains which hurt worse than the incision! I also felt nauseated for a couple of days. Turning and getting up and down is not as bad as you think, coughing and blowing your nose is kinda tough, though. I hope you have a wonderful recovery - follow orders and you will be fine! Best of luck!
Scrap317

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.