HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

HOLE in vaginal wall? HOLE in vaginal wall?

Unread 12-30-2006, 01:33 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

Hi all,

I have felt so good that I haven't been here for a few weeks.

I am about 7 weeks post op.

I had vag. full hys, cystocele/rectocele repair -- and they did a vaginal reconstruction (which I did NOT know about beforehand or expect to happen)

When I felt the masses of stitches and weird lumpy flesh running up the front and back walls of the vag., I was really upset.

The entire area didn't seem right to me anymore - the skin has a sort of plastic feel to it.... but my good friend (a nurse) said to give it some time and it would get more and more normal.

She said having sex would be important to get it back into good shape, and so we planned our first time -- but I was not feeling well that night, so we postponed it, and again I was not feeling well enough, so we postponed it again.

It's been a week now, and so we were planning for it last night (Friday), but during my shower I felt the canal and found what feels like a HOLE!!!

It's about 1/3rd of the way down from the cuff -- at an area that feels like the skin was maybe folded over and stitched. It feels like a hem would feel if 2-3 threads came loose.

I tried to feel inside it to see it if went all the way through the wall, but it is aimed downward so I couldn't get my finger to the end of the hole - it's too high up to bend my finger back toward the vaginal opening.

I was totally freaked out - started shaking and feeling really scared. Of course the holiday weekend precludes calling my surgeon.

Has anyone experienced this, or heard about someone who has? Now I am afraid to have sex at all. I did read some threads about fistulas, but honestly, I don't know if I am leaking urine or anything vaginally. When I go pee, there is a funny squishing sound at the vag. opening.

I did have extensive scarring, endo and adhesions.

thanks.
d
Unread 12-30-2006, 05:41 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

I'm sorry I don't have any wisdom or experiences to share with you but I just wanted to say that I'm thinking about you and praying that this is a minor bump in your recovery. I hope you can find out what is going on soon, and hopefully it is nothing very serious.

If you had a fistula, I would think that you would be leaking urine. Hopefully that isn't what it is. Please take care and let us know how you are doing!
Unread 12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

Hi Di
I'm sorry you're having this scare. It does sound like something to be concerned about. It's hard to say what you might be feeling, but if you had a fistula you would be leaking urine I believe.
Have you been released by your dr to have sex? I hope you won't do anything until you know you have the all clear from your dr. You had extensive work done. Don't do anything because a nurse friend recommended it. She should know better.
Let us know what you find out from your dr.
's, Rita
Unread 12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

Hi all,

I thought I was about 7 weeks, but from reading other posts I think I am actually 8 or 9 weeks post-op. My surgery was on Nov 7th.

Yes, of course I made sure I had the all-clear for activity from my surgeon. My friend was careful to ask me what he said before she said sex was important to help the reconstructed vaginal canal shape itself.

I AM LEAKING urine from the hole. I verified that yesterday by several methods.

I was so upset last night that I telephoned the on-call surgeon, who was familiar w/ my case even though I don't recall ever meeting her - apparently she was called into the o.r. when they found the extensive scarring, endo and adhesions.

She feels it's probably a fistula, and I need to see my surgeon first thing Tuesday morning. She said if it is a fistula, I will need re-surgery!!!! I am totally freaked out because I have Interstitial Cystitis, and that kind of re-surgery will be a direct assault on my bladder/urethra.

I also have noticed this week that the cystocele repair appears to be failing already - the flap of vaginal tissue that was outside my body before is starting to fall outside again, although it is not so huge because they cut most of it out and stitched it up. There is a feeling of pressure on the pelvic floor, just like before, but not as severe.

She was very kind, and I felt a lot better after talking to her. I thought it was interesting, though, how she seemed to feel me out as far as was I blaming the surgeon, and would I make a stink about surgeon error? I was careful to say I thought he did a great job considering my challenges. One does not want to put a doctor on the defensive just before re-surgery, and even if it was some kind of error that caused the fistula, he was working with a huge handicap because of the I.C., extensive scarring/endo and adhesions.

The only thing I really care about is that our health insurance turns over TODAY to the six thousand dollar deductible for the new year, and I am wondering just how much all this is going to end up costing our 20K per year income!

Also, I do NOT want to go through seven minutes of literally screaming out loud in the hospital again! This time they will know not to try to take out the Foley as soon as they did last time, and if they do I will insist that they have a new one waiting right next to my bed -- w/ the surgeon's permission to put it back in right away. My capacity is only around 500 cc's comfortably.

A few weeks ago, when I had an E-coli vaginal infection, the nurse said "I hope this does not cause erosion", but I guess it contributed. I had my first post-op exam w/ a speculum, then had a LOT of pain in the spot where the hole showed up. I think I was leaking urine since that day, but didn't realize what the liquid was until yesterday.

d
Unread 12-31-2006, 05:35 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

I'm so sorry you're having these continued problems!!! Please keep us posted about your dr. visit on Tuesday.
Unread 12-31-2006, 05:54 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

I am so sorry to hear your troubles, I am one day before you. Good Job on calling the Dr.!!Please keep us posted
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:21 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

Dear Di:

I am glad that you waited on attempting sex until the doctor can check out this hole. Did you have your surgery in Seattle like me? I had similar repairs as you.

I haven't attempted the sex thing yet... I am one of those ladies that is taking this whole thing really, really slow. No running marathons for me or hours on the treadmill...

Yeah, I get pretty intimidated by reading some of the other messages - there are some real SUPER WOMEN out there, but I am not one of them.

By the way:

We lost our thread about "OUR WEEK" of surgery off the board, so I am hoping everyone that had their surgery around the time of mine is doing well. Waves and Hugs!

Personally, I over did Friday, too much bending over and had deep tissue pain all yesterday and today. But my belly isn't very swelly and I think I have actually lost weight, so it's not all bad news.
Unread 01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

thanks everyone ....

I'm feeling less freaked out today.

I overdid it too on Friday last - picked up my grand-daughter a few times while out shopping.

I sort of just forgot not to. Boy, that caused quite a bit of deep pain. Won't do that again for a while. She weighs around 30 pounds.

I'm not superwoman either - wanted to start on the treadmill after X-mas, but then the hole happened.

I was warned before my surgery not to ever again lift more than 25 pounds because of the double prolapse! So far I haven't found anyone else who has heard this from their doctor. Most people say they were told they could get back to regular lifting eventually.

I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday!

d
Unread 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

I was told that my days of lifting are done! I was also told that the repairs don't last forever and the more you lift the more likely the repairs fail earlier than later. I am a person who does a lot on my own and this is really hard for me to follow. However, I am doing it because I know that I do not want to have this surgery again any time soon. Hope you get some good answers. I do have to ask you though, how did you notice the hole? I haven't been that adventurous to even check in there. LOL
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM
HOLE in vaginal wall?

You poor thing - that must have been so disturbing! Thank God Tuesday is almost here! Why does medical stuff happen on Friday of a three day weekend?

I've never been one to blame surgeons for complications either but it's interesting the on-call surgeon seemed to be watching for it. My first thought when I read your post was 'boy did her surgeon ever screw up'. Which is not fair at all - - but I can't help wondering...

It does sound like the infection was a big contributor.

I'm glad you were able to calm down (I wouldn't have been able to!) and I sure hope they patch you up good as new.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.