HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone Ever Have Rectal Spasms/Cramping Anyone Ever Have Rectal Spasms/Cramping

Unread 12-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Anyone Ever Have Rectal Spasms/Cramping

I've just had the worst 2 nights. A few nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a muscle cramp that started at the groin and ran down my inner thigh to the middle of my calf. The next night I had the same muscle cramp, after 5 minutes it started in the other leg but ran from the bottom of my buttocks to the middle of my calf. Then I started with a muscle cramp like a Charlie Horse in my rectum. The whole episode lasted about 20-30 minutes with me rolling around the bed barely able to breathe because of the pain and not being able to find any position that would relieve the cramp. To make it worse when I woke up with the cramp I had a horrible urge to pee and it was all I could do not to wet the bed. The whole time I was laying there thinking about what I would do if this didn't stop. Thinking I would need some sort of muscle relaxant and how I would get downstairs to get to the ER when I couldn't even get out of bed to go to the bathroom.
I called the Uro/Gyn and the nurse practitioner gave me a script for Valium to help to relax the muscles. I took 1/2 tab last night. I couldn't afford to be loopy at work because I was the only nurse in the office today. My muscles still feel like they are about to cramp up at any time. I'm drinking 8 ounces of quinine with cranberry juice daily. Just counting the days now till the surgery and hoping it will all get better once the mesh is removed. Do any of you have any home remedies that might help?
Michelle
Unread 12-30-2006, 04:22 PM

There are other muscle relaxants that don't make you feel as loopy as Valium...

Here are other things that have helped me when I get muscle spasms: heating pad, eating stuff with Potassium, gently stretching the muscles that are effected. AND, I would take the Valium (or other muscle relaxer). I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 12-30-2006, 06:06 PM

I take Soma for a muxcle relaxer. It does make me tired and sleepy but I have taken 1/2 and done ok. I am sooooo sorry you are having all this trouble. That sounds so scary, painful and frustrating~ I you get this surgery and things start settling down for you!
Unread 12-31-2006, 04:25 PM

Hi Michelle,
I have not posted for awhile, it has been just crazy around here with the holiday's going on. I am so happy for you getting your surgery date set up, I know you want this ordeal behind you soon.
I do know what you are saying about the rectal spasms & the cramping. I had those for awhile really strong & they are sooo painful !! I have had to take a stool softner everyday since my surgery over a year ago. I still have mild spasams/cramps sometimes if I'm out shopping or on my feet for a long time. And I do get them at night often ( wakes me from a sound sleep ).
Most day's I feel ok, but I think this A/P repair surgery really leaves some bad effects on our lower body parts !!
My bladder will never be the same, It is real bossy these day's (lol)
Everyone say a prayer for a dear friend of mine, she had a/p repair the first part of Dec. & she still has her cath. in. She is so depressed.
I will keep you in my prayers Michelle, & good luck !!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.