HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pre-op research - I need to stop! Pre-op research - I need to stop!

Unread 01-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Pre-op research - I need to stop!

OK - I have been here and many other places to research the life change I will be undergoing. Found the HERS Foundation website and it scared me to death!!!!! I am hoping that the respondents to this were self-selected and were those who were unhappy with the hyst. The %'s are crazy! Not anything like what I have seen on this board. So fellow princesses - remind me that this is just one study and it really won't be this bad!
Unread 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Me too!!!

As you know from reading my thread I am a little on edge ( wink, wink ) and I too found that HORRIBLY disturbing site. I do know that many of the things they claim to be " fact " are indeed not. Many different things happen to different women. Like ANYTHING else in life, we can't all be pingeonholed right? Every woman will have a unique experienec, this much I know. We understand the risks, but don't let an extremist website bully you or get the best of you... I logged off about 5 seconds after reading their " fact page "
Unread 01-01-2007, 03:46 PM

I went to that site to see what's up.
I'm almost 5 weeks out and can tell you honestly that most of that is just crap!
A number of those things COULD happen if you go into menopause - with or without a hysterectomy.
Some of those things COULD happen temporarily as you adjust after surgery.
Most of those things WILL NOT happen to you. Their percentages are outrageous from what I've read and heard from other women! Please try not to read to much into things like that.
Unread 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi nomorepads!

I believe that some websites (and I'm not "naming names" mind you) have "an agenda" to push. I would suspect they might have run an advertisement in some major newspapers that asked, "Have you had a negative experience having a hysterectomy? If so, please contact us in order to list your complaints on a survey!"

One of the many, many outstanding attributes about Hystersisters.com is that, like the Mission Statement explains, this website is neither pro-hysterectomy nor anti-hysterectomy. I hope you'll listen to your gut instinct when traipsing around the internet seeking information about this topic.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Informed consent is about educated risk versus benefit analysis. The stats on the other site are questionable compared with the ones I have researched in the medical literature. You have already tried ablations and other less invasive procedures. Do you feel pressured in any way to have the hysterectomy? Have you received thorough information about the risks associated with surgery, anesthesia, and recovery from your doctor who knows your medical history?

If you are making the decision of your own accord and have the information you need to make an informed choice, please don't let others' horror stories induce anxiety. You need to be able to rest and have some calm before your approaching surgery. It is important to your recovery afterward to go into the surgery with manageable anxiety (very normal) and a positive attitude.

I am three weeks out and am doing well. There were some risk factors for me involved with the surgery, but I conducted my research and moved forward with my decision to have the hyst. I had said 2 years earlier that I would NEVER have a hysterectomy because of all the horror stories and misconceptions I had about what that would mean to my life. Once I opened my mind I realized that the facts painted an entirely different picture. I have no regrets and am at peace with my decision. The improvement in my quality of life is enormous. No more gushing periods! Ever!

Best wishes to you and happy new year!
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM

I scanned that site quickly...thought "wow, what a bunch of crap"
I'm glad I hang out here, and I've been given support understanding and encouragement, not to mention really good advice! This is the place to be for hyst. support, sister! Every time I look back on my hyst. journey, I realize I wouldn't have been this relaxed about my surgery and recovery if it hadn't been for hystersisters. Please stick around and enjoy the support.
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Sounds like I'd best not take a look at the HERS Foundation at this point. I never heard of it in fact. I don't need anymore anxiety than I already have.
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Whatever you decide Diane99, take it with many grains of salt. It's bogus garbage, IMHO LOL
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM

not gonna look although I'm tempted. Nope, not gonna look!
Unread 01-01-2007, 05:12 PM

I hadn't seen it, and I don't plan on looking. I found this website after reading more of the real technical medical sites, and am perfectly content between here, talking to friends that have been through this (I'm realizing that I'm in the minority amonst my friends - I'm almost 50 and still have everything - for a while), and talking to the doctors.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.