HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

surgery for granulation tissue? surgery for granulation tissue?

Unread 01-05-2007, 07:27 AM
surgery for granulation tissue?

I have now had two treatments for of silver nitrate for granulation tissue. The dr. said that if it keeps coming back I will have to have surgery agin to fix it. Curious, has this happend to anyone else? Is surgery the only way? Were you told to not have sex while getting rid of the granulation tissue? The idea of surgery again is well, nauseating, scary, and just plan not good.
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM

I had surgery on the same day, two treatments of silver nitrate as well. Doctor told me that I may need an additional treatment, didn't say anything about surgury, yuk! NO SEX, same here. Last treatment was on 12/27, doc told me to call in two weeks if still spotting, said that some women heal slower, 8 weeks.. I started taking an herb (staphysagria 30c) that I found out about on a web-ste to heal surgical wounds, today the spotting is almost gone, praying that this works. I understand the thought of more surgery is not good, had two last year myself. Good Luck, I'll pray for you.
Unread 01-05-2007, 01:50 PM

My Hysterectomy was in March 2006 and by the end of July 2006 and 3 treatments of silver nitrate later, I finally healed. Tried sex a few times about 8 weeks post op, but it was too painful and then with the granulation occurring, I just waited until my doctor said there was no more granulation. He didn't release me from post op visits until all of the granulation tissue had healed. I'm a red-head and it's always taken me a long time to heal, but going through that was very discouraging.
Having the silver nitrate treatments for some strange reason made me so exhausted, so I just decided I would rest as much as possible and do as little as possible so I wouldn't overexert myself. My husband was very patient with me until I fully healed. (thank God!) Finally I did heal. It will get better and then you can give others encouragement about this same thing!

Hang in there!!

Maria
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I am 9 days out and know nothing about granulation tissue and silver nitrate treatments. What are they and why would you get them? Sorry to ask but my dr has never even mentioned this to me.
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM

I had never heard of if either. Granulation is the process of any wound healing. With my hysterectomy, my uterus was cut away from the nape of my vagina. Since my vagina was still intact, but was cut to remove the uterus, granulation is the process of that wound healing. As I would return to my GYN for my post op visits, he would examine me vaginally and would say "You haven’t quite healed and have granulation tissue that we are going to treat with silver nitrate".

Silver nitrate is a healing aid salve or paste. The silver nitrate was added on the tip of a very long Q-tip and he placed it on the areas that had the granulation tissue. (It's pretty much like having a pap smear). He would tell me to come back in about 3 weeks and he'd check me again. Each time that he would see granulation tissue, he would add the silver nitrate. This indeed did help the wound heal.

The thing I didn't realize was that after you have the silver nitrate added, it causes you to spot red to dark brown discharge for a few days. Take a pad with you to your post op visit even if you've finished bleeding from the surgery, just in case!!!

Hope this helps!
Maria
Unread 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM

I have been taking staphysagria 30c (a homeopathic medice to promote healing of surgical wounds) since day one and I think that is why some of my stitches fell out around week 2 - this really does help with healing (imho). It has helped me. I don't have any granulation issues and I pray you ladies who do heal quickly. Remember to pamper the princess!
Unread 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Hi joeyanne!

I had to have my granulation tissue surgically removed because there was more of it than could be effectively treated with the silver nitrate. In my case, the surgery was done right in the doctor's office with just a local anesthetic. I won't lie - it hurt a LOT to have those injections in the vaginal cuff, but the surgery itself went well and I think the whole thing was over in about 30 minutes. It was followed up by additional treatments of silver nitrate.

My doctor's orders were for no sex after each of the silver nitrate treatments and of course not after the surgery to remove the tissue. That gave the area the best chance to heal.

For anyone interested, there's an article about granulation tissue and how it's treated in this link.

As a reminder, always check with your own doctor before trying anything you read about to be sure it would be safe for you to use.

I'm really sorry that you have to deal with the granulation tissue. I know it's frustrating and it drags on for what seems like forever! I hope you are able to avoid surgery but if you do end up having surgery, I hope it's something simple like the surgery I had done!

I'm sending s and
Unread 01-05-2007, 04:54 PM

My hyst was in July 05 and I have had 2 silver nitrate treatments as well and the problem is back again. Last time was bright red blood, this time not bright red, but definetly there.

I find it to be very frustrating. I don't want to have any type of surgery to repair it either.

I am hoping it heals on it's own, but after this amount of time, I am thinking it will probably not.

I just don't understand why it will not heal.

I am glad to find out that I am not alone.
Unread 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM

I could not get the link to work. Thanks for all the info ladies. I am sure hoping for none of it as I am a big woosie and have a huge fear of needles to to point where I refused the injections for pain in the hospital. My dr talked me into it...my mom always said she knew I would never grow up to be a junkie as my fear has been life long and more than embarrising for her and myself
Unread 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM

I fixed the link so it's working now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway