HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

2w post op check, not good....blood clot 2w post op check, not good....blood clot

Unread 01-12-2007, 11:27 AM
2w post op check, not good....blood clot

Hi ladies! Well I just got home and am not feeling well at all. I had a BAD night, have been up since 2am. I wasn't able to sleep and I couldn't get comfy. I have what feels like menstrual cramps and it *****. Well my post op check was okay. I had an internal an then a rectal and an u/s because of the new pain. Turns out I have a freaking blood clot about 2 inches in diameter that has formed and is sitting above my cuff I believe. Anyway they did lab work and if it is getting infected I have to go on antibiotics and they are hoping it will go away on its own (reasborb). If my pain doesn't get better in the next day or so they will have to go in and remove it. There are 2 ways I think he said. One is with a guided u/s and they drain it or the other is to take out a few stiches, drain it and then restitch. I am a mess. I am so scared. Anyone else go through this?

Melissa
Unread 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening . What a good reminder for all of us to pay attention to new pain and call our doctors! I haven't had this happen to me, but my thoughts are with you. Maybe wear a heavier pad in case the clost "let's loose".

dear Princess!
Unread 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM

I asked about that and he said that that is impossible. The area in which it would fall out from is stiched up and it won't come out around it. It either has to dissolve and reabosrb or be removed. Ugh. I have done EVERYTHING right and I am so bummed that this is happening. I mean, I have not dusted, done dishes or even a single load of laundry. I am following my instructions to the T and I feel so let down and bummed out. oh well.
Unread 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM

I assume that what you're talking about is a hematoma -- a collection of blood and other fluids.

I had a large hematoma which ran along my incision line, in front of the abdominal wall. However, mine wasn't even discovered until I was 7 months post-op. They ended up doing the guided ultrasound draining twice, and I did eventually end up having surgery to remove the old hematoma capsule.

There have been many (((sisters))) who have had hematomas, and they are no fun -- we know. However, you will probably get quick relief when they either drain it or remove it.

It's important to remember that hematomas aren't generally caused by you doing anything "wrong" like overdoing it. My doc explained that they are usually caused by the trauma of surgery itself. Think about it -- sometimes when you bang your arm or leg on something, you get a bruise, but other times, you don't. It's sort of the same thing.

Please keep us posted. If you do a search on "hematoma" on this website, you'll come up with several threads about them.

to you.
Unread 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Hi Melissa:

I also had a vaginal hyst, and then a hematoma right above the cuff. It was discovered by CT scan when my recovery took a wrong turn at 3 weeks post-op. I was admitted to the hospital for a quick vaginal surgery: the doc snipped a couple of stitches and left it open to drain & heal on its own. After this surgery, I had an immediate relief from the pain & pressure.

Keep in touch with your doc about any changes you experience. I hope you will be back on the road to recovery very soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:51 PM

Melissa,
Did your doc give a reason for not putting you on blood thinners? If its a clot, the blood thinners will work by preventing it from becoming larger and aid in helping blood flow. Just curious
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:03 AM

no he didn't. My understanding is that it is not a vascular issues (not in my vien or artery). It is just collecting for some reason in that spot and I don't think that the blood thinners would help prevent that from forming since it isn't vascular. Thanks!
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Twysmilng-

Were you awake for the surgery and did you have to spend a day/night in the hospital or when did you go home? Also were you put to sleep for the procedure or just given sedation? Thanks!
Unread 01-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmm4
Twysmilng-

Were you awake for the surgery and did you have to spend a day/night in the hospital or when did you go home? Also were you put to sleep for the procedure or just given sedation? Thanks!
I went to the local clinic on a Wednesday, and was sent home after some IV fluids. I was still feeling ill & in pain on Saturday, so the nurse on phone sent me to the ER, where I had a CT scan, and was diagnosed with a septic hematoma. I was admitted, and had the surgery Sunday morning. I was put under general anesthesia, then stayed in the hospital on IV antibiotics until Tuesday afternoon. My original surgery was only an overnight hospital stay. The post-op report said the hematoma was NOT septic.

My doc did 25 hysts per week due to his specialty, and he had only seen 2 other hematomas in 5 years. He told me that I didn't do anything to cause the hematoma (they don't know the cause), and if they knew how to prevent them, they would! You are worried that you were too active post-op, while I blamed myself for being too inactive post-op.

I am not sure why some docs choose to wait & see, while others choose to be more aggressive in treating a hematoma. I hope you are feeling better soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway