HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can anyone tell me what the sizes are for different fibroid classifications? Can anyone tell me what the sizes are for different fibroid classifications?

Unread 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Can anyone tell me what the sizes are for different fibroid classifications?

This is driving me nuts. I've surfed the net, and not been able to really find out anything related to size classifications and terms generally used for fibroids.

I see all over the place, very large, large, medium and small, but nothing related to how many centimeters generally go to each.

I have four 5 cm x 5 cm fibroids, a 4 cm x 4 cm, and a bunch of 1 cm x 1 cm ones.

All that I can figure is that I'm walking around with the equivalent of four tennis balls, a gold ball and a bunch of marbles inside of me,

But, I'll bet that combined they go into the very large classification.

Goofy question, but I can't figure this out. HELP!
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM

I've never seen a classification of fibroids. All I've seen is their actual size in cm. And the weight of the uterus in g.
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM
mine is 8 cm

I was told that the one they could see was 8 cm, they explained that as about the size of a golf ball.

They are sure there are some smaller ones, but not much info on them.

Hope this helped!
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM

ditto what Jana said. I drew on a piece of paper with a ruler the dimensions from the ultrasound to get an idea of the space they were occupying inside me.
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM

I was also wondering how they "classify" the size. When I was having my vaginal ultrasound the tech put the instrument on my abdomen and said, "Wow, this is a large fibroid." I asked her the size and she said, 10 by 8 by 8 cm. I then asked her when she starts calling them large. She replied when they reach around 7. It's probably just a random number each person uses to describe the size. My fibroid was 5cm. two years ago.
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm going to put this on my list of must ask questions, because I could not find information on this anywhere, but the term large is everywhere.....

I may even ask one of the nurses at work, I work for a health insurance company.
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM

I can tell you that you don't want to wait for them to get HUGE. I knew I had mine for years and several years ago my uterus was "the size of a 10 week pregnancy". I had pap smears over the years which were all ok, but somehow between last yrs exam and this years, everything ballooned. When I had the ultrasound my HUGE fibroid was 17cm another was 11cm and I had several "smaller" fibroids.
I ended up having a "Baby Hippo" during a SAH ...DD had to PRY it out of the incision and cut it from my cervix to get my basketball sized uterus out. My incision goes from my belly button right down to my pubic bone and I had terrible bruising.
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM

I heard that 4 cm was a golf ball, 6 cm was a tangerine. 5 cm is 2 inches in diameter, which is what, a baseball?.

So if that is true, Happycamper, you have more than a golf ball in there.

What is with the sports balls and fruit anyway? I heard men tend to use sports analogy and women tend to use fruit. So why do I have a golf ball and a tangerine? And I have seen oranges the size of grapefruit but people still use oranges to describe their fibroids.

I wonder how many marbles, brussel sprouts and eyeballs they will find in me when the day comes.

Why can't someone come up with a model that doctors can keep in their offices so we can get a good visual of the junk that is causing us so much misery? WAIT, NOBODY DO ANYTHING! I am calling my patent attorney right now!
Unread 01-19-2007, 04:09 AM

I am on a mission now to find out what these darn terms mean!!!! I actually looked up the dimensions for a tennis ball, and four of mine are tennis ball size, and I'm sticking with it!

I'm also going to tell my doctor, that I really want to know how much it all weights after they remove it from me. I'd also love a picture of what it all looks like, but I figure that I may be pushing it.....

Since fibroids are so common in women, one would think that they'd have a straightforward classification system available for us inquiring minds.

All I know is that all together I have over 8 inchess x 8 inchess of the darn things inside of me. That converts to 26 cm x 26 cm. That's not even counting all my little 1 cm x 1 cm suckers. I have them all lying on top of each other, fighting for space in there, pushing every direction.

It's pretty bizzare, since I found out the size that's down there, I've spent a few minutes in-front of the mirror, looking at my budda belly. I swear yesterday, I was sporting a five month pregnant looking belly.

Heck, I'm even pretty psyched that by the time I'm recovered enough to go shopping, I should hit some serious clearance sales, and I'm buying myself some shirts that are clingy, verses my current, lose fitting, which are to hide my budda.

I have a size two body everywhere, except for the budda, which has me in size eight to ten, just for comfort. I actually discovered hip hugger jeans a month ago, believe it, or not, they're great for hidding the budda. They cut it off in the middle, but it doesn't overflow. I strongly suggest them for anyone, my other jeans just had a huge budda sticking out under the waist line. Who'd have ever thought....
Unread 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM

My doctor told me that 9 cm was the size of a tennis ball, 12cm, which is what I had was the ALMOST the size of a softball. Glad I had this taken care of!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.