With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
well I am back .. and in need of support. I was very upset to find out yesterday that on monday january 29th I will be cut open once again for removal of one ovary, possibly two depending on how the right one looks.. I had a partial hyster. 2 years ago and have had several cysts removed in the past 3 years.. I am scared and have lots of ?'s of course. but I knew where to turn !! HERE OF COURSE.. I have pcos and endometriosos.. I have a large cyst on my left ovary that will not shrink on it's own.. I have had two sonograms and it isn't shrinking. I am having rectal discomfort the past few weeks also.. what is that about ? anyone else suffer with that ? sometimes it hurts to sit down.. the dr. said possible the endo causing that.. any advice ? thank you donna
I'm sorry to hear that you are having to face this surgery on othe 29th. I'm sure you are not looking forward to it.
I know when I had an ovarian mass, it put enough pressure in my rectal area that I had a significant change in bowel patterns. I'm not sure how big your cysts are, but remember that the ovaries are not too far away from that area, and maybe that's the source of your pressure. I'm sure endo may also be the culprit.
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and that this surgery relieves you of any future pain and discomfort. Be sure to come back and post after surgery and let us know how things are going, when you feel up to it of course.
I just read something in the post-op forum about ovarian cysts. Someone in there said that their doc drilled holes in her ovaries to prevent further cysts. I've never heard of that before, however, I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about it. I just recently had my left one out and already have a cyst(small one) on my right ovary. Something you might want to check into...? Let me know what you decide and what your doctor says about it should you ask.
Best wishes always!
yes I am really struggling.. my hubby wants me to have both ovaries out.. he hates to see me have to have the other one out in a year or two .. but then I have a friend who is a nurse and she tells me to leave the one in.. if at all possible.. I suffer with depression and I am afriad of what the hormones or the lack of will do to me.. ugh it is so hard.. i hate all of this.. donna
Donna, I think if you can keep an ovary the better it will be for you. The other ovary may work fine and never give you any trouble. I understand your dh not wanting you to have to go back for more surgery. I had both of mine out and trying to get the hormones balanced has been ongoing. It was hard for me to find a dr that was willing to work with me getting them balanced. My gyn said he would, he is a great dr, but I wasn't getting the kind of care that I felt that I needed from him. I suffered depression too, I am finally starting to feel better a year later. Keep us posted on what you decide. Lots of 's, Carol
OMG, I truly understand what you are feeling. I totally sympathize for you. I dealt with it for over a year and it kept getting worse every month (cysts). I got terribly sick and pain was unbearable every 4-6 weeks. They always got to the size of 7.5cm before resolving.
I chose to just have the one because I didn't want to regret not giving the other one a shot, and because it is healthier for me, in general. Just as carol is saying, removing both may not resolve problems, it may create more...? I'm only 2.5 weeks post op and have experienced both sides of the fence. My other ovary didn't kick in right away after surgery and I got a little taste of menopause. YIKES, I'm so glad that I kept the other ovary. It has kicked in and I'm feeling somewhat better. I still feel emotional at times, but can control them a little better. I will say that after experiencing that and not being able to control my emotions for a couple days, has scared me terribly.. It's the worst feeling. My heart goes out to all women that have to live with menopause on a daily basis. My dh had doubts about getting only one out also. I will say, now that the other ovary has kicked in, he's very happy I did keep the one...lol.
Keep us posted, it is a tough decision, I know. Best wishes always.
I was in the same situation a year ago...after partial I ended up with large complex cyst that took over the left ovary. Went into surgery not knowing if both ovaries were going to be taken out but I begged the dr to leave in the right in if at all possible. I was lucky and was able keep the ovary and hormones kicked in back to normal in about 3 weeks. I too had the bowel issue and the pain in the behind and not being able to sit down - the cyst was putting pressure on the rectum and the intestines is what I was told. Now dealing with that again but only during ovulation - going in myself this Friday for sono of remaining ovary.
Good luck to you.