HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Burning Ripping Pain? (Around incision) Burning Ripping Pain? (Around incision)

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Burning Ripping Pain? (Around incision)

I had TAH on 12/26/06, kept both ovaries and my recovery has been going quite well. I do admit that I am probably doing too much too soon but I feel pretty good and can't just sit around. Anyway, I have one spot on the right side of my incision that runs from my incision to about 4" above that when I cough, sneeze, laugh, or turn the wrong way absolutely feels like the worse ripping burning pain EVER! It literaly feels like my skin is ripping open. I'm wondering if it may possibly be an incisional hernia???? There is no bulging but the ripping pain is excruciating! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

JS
Unread 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Since I didn't have an external incision, I don't have any kind of experience to share with you. Be sure to talk to your doctor about any pain or concerns you have and hopefully, someone around here will be along to give you some input.

s, Deb
Unread 01-25-2007, 09:11 AM

I had a burning, ripping, pain that felt like someone was ripping my skin off too. Mine hurt the most on the left side. It began at the pubic bone, and moved towards the hip bone. It even hurt with the epidural I had in the hospital. Vicodin didn't do anything for it. I had a cough, and I thought I was going to pass out from the pain every time I coughed. It was a 9 on a 10 scale. It was bad. My husband took me back to the doctor one week after the surgery because we were convinced that I had ripped something. (I was having this terrible pain, but I was also developing a hard knot on the left side of the incision.) The doctor said the pain was a nerve/ligament interaction that would improve with time. She said she cut a ligament on both sides, and although it was reattached a little shorter, she didn't know why it was hurting. The hard knots were scar tissue that has now gone away on its own. She gave me some Tussinex cough syrup, which I thought was a miracle at the time because it got rid of the constant cough. It hurt when I moved too, so I just tried to avoid moving. The pain lasted about two weeks. It then started up on the right side, but wasn't anywhere near as bad. My TAH was three months ago, and I don't have any pain now and haven't for a couple months. Other than that ripping pain, I didn't have any pain at all. Only took Motrin after leaving the hospital. I hope your pain goes away soon. I know it can really hurt.
Unread 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM

I had the same pain on my right side, just above my incision line. Also had a knot there about the size of a golf ball. I went back 2 wks post op and my doctor said it was inflamed muscle tissue. It has since gone done and doesn't hurt anymore.
Give it time, it will get better, but to be safe you may want to have it looked at.
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:01 AM

It it isn't constant - only triggered by something - then probably a side effect of the surgery. It depends on what side the doc started the cut from (and are they right or left handed), where they located the incision, what other tissues they had to cut thru, etc. Even with the LSH I was scheduled for - there are dozens of cuts and sutures/cauterizations to remove just the uterus (ligaments, blood vessels, connective tissue, etc)

My surgeon tightened me a bit extra with the SAH and that cut is so low that my hair covers it (he was perturbed he had to cut me in the first place since he teaches LSH to other docs) it felt real tight for the first few weeks then became 'normal' for me. It was tender/sensitive on each side of the cut for months.
Unread 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Same here! except I have pain on my right side. I too am a little over 10 wks post-op and the feeling I've been experiencing feels like a burning, ripping/tearing sensation. I can't cough, sneeze, bend, twist or lift anything without having the pain you describe. I saw my doc for a post-op follow-up, seven wks after surgery and told him about the burning feeling and he said it was normal. But now here I am 10 wks out and it only seems to be getting worse and more frequent. I am to see my doc again next Fri. and plan to ask...again. Please let me know what you find out about it and I'll inform you too. Oh, I had a vertical incision and a TAH with removal of left ovary. The burning pain travel along and to the right of my incision.

Okay, I guess this is normal!

~Pam
Unread 01-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I will ask him about the pain. It just concerns me because I had both of my children by c section and never experienced this kind of pain during recovery. The doctor used the same incision for my hysterectomy as the c sections so I felt the recovery should pretty much be the same. Boy was I wrong! Maybe because I'm older (39) but my body just isn't bouncing back like it did when I had my children. I ran out of percecet and had some left over darvecet from my excruciating pain experienced during my periods that I'm now taking at bedtime.

Thanks for all the support I've found on this site. It has been extremely helpful and beneficial throughout this whole process.

I'll keep all informed on what my doctor says tomorrow.

JS

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.